Apr 29, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
Jerry Colangelo had said last week that despite the injury to Dwight Howard, Team USA would not be changing its list of invitees for camp. They were going to stick with their guys. That plan lasted right up until the 1:20 mark of the fourth quarter of Saturday’s Game 1 between Chicago and Philadelphia. After Derrick Rose tore his ACL, ending his season, there is a whole new modus operandi for the heads of the global basketball competition organization. From SI.com:
Just three days after saying the roster of Olympic team finalists would not be expanded after the recent rash of injuries to key players, USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo told SI.com that he is reconsidering his stance after the Bulls point guard tore his ACL in Game 1 of their series against the Sixers.
“What I said [previously] was that we didn’t plan to do any additions, but we had to continue to monitor the injury situation,” Colangelo said. “Obviously this is a big loss. [Point guard] seems to be, at this point, still a pretty strong position. But at this stage, quite honestly, I think all bets are off.”
It’s not surprising that they’re reconsidering. There will have to be more guard depth. LeBron James running point is fine for the NBA but with the quicker, smaller players available, you want James playing bigger (as Rudy Gay did) and need a real point guard. And they’re running out of available guys.
It certainly looks like there will be changes for Team USA in the future.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 24
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)