Apr 29, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Jerry Colangelo had said last week that despite the injury to Dwight Howard, Team USA would not be changing its list of invitees for camp. They were going to stick with their guys. That plan lasted right up until the 1:20 mark of the fourth quarter of Saturday’s Game 1 between Chicago and Philadelphia. After Derrick Rose tore his ACL, ending his season, there is a whole new modus operandi for the heads of the global basketball competition organization. From SI.com:
Just three days after saying the roster of Olympic team finalists would not be expanded after the recent rash of injuries to key players, USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo told SI.com that he is reconsidering his stance after the Bulls point guard tore his ACL in Game 1 of their series against the Sixers.
“What I said [previously] was that we didn’t plan to do any additions, but we had to continue to monitor the injury situation,” Colangelo said. “Obviously this is a big loss. [Point guard] seems to be, at this point, still a pretty strong position. But at this stage, quite honestly, I think all bets are off.”
It’s not surprising that they’re reconsidering. There will have to be more guard depth. LeBron James running point is fine for the NBA but with the quicker, smaller players available, you want James playing bigger (as Rudy Gay did) and need a real point guard. And they’re running out of available guys.
It certainly looks like there will be changes for Team USA in the future.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10