Apr 28, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Iman Shumpert, the Knicks starting two guard and one of their key perimieter defenders, is done for the playoffs.
He has a torn ACL in his left knee and his lateral meniscus, the team announced, and he will be out 6-8 months. Which sounds about right after you watch the video above — it actually looked worse than the Derrick Rose injury. He went down in the midway through the third quarter and had to be carried off the court.
Shumpert showed a lot of promise in his rookie season, averaging 9.5 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.8 assists this year. It was his defense that helped win him a starting job. However, like most of the Knicks, he was overwhelmed in Game 1 against the Heat and had no points, one rebound and one assist in 19 minutes before the injury.
This means more Landry Fields for the Knicks, who is a solid and smart player but does not match up with the athleticism the Heat bring.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18