Apr 28, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Iman Shumpert, the Knicks starting two guard and one of their key perimieter defenders, is done for the playoffs.
He has a torn ACL in his left knee and his lateral meniscus, the team announced, and he will be out 6-8 months. Which sounds about right after you watch the video above — it actually looked worse than the Derrick Rose injury. He went down in the midway through the third quarter and had to be carried off the court.
Shumpert showed a lot of promise in his rookie season, averaging 9.5 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.8 assists this year. It was his defense that helped win him a starting job. However, like most of the Knicks, he was overwhelmed in Game 1 against the Heat and had no points, one rebound and one assist in 19 minutes before the injury.
This means more Landry Fields for the Knicks, who is a solid and smart player but does not match up with the athleticism the Heat bring.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40