Apr 27, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT
UPDATE 9:07 am: Well, that didn’t take long.
I said you could bet Bird would deny the latest report he is not coming back and he has to the Indy Star.
“Once again, no decision has been made,” Bird said by phone Thursday evening. “I’ll sit down with my owner at the end of the season and we’ll talk about things.”
8:08 am: Larry Bird almost left last summer but came back as Indiana team president for this season because owner Herb Simon asked him to help the franchise through an unusual lockout season. He did. And the Pacers have grown with young talent into the third best team in the East and one on the rise.
But he is not coming back for another year, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com.
Bird, 55, had an agreement with Simon to remain team president through the end of the season and decide his future then. The Hall of Famer has been clear in conversations with friends that Simon does not need to wait any longer before formally considering candidates to replace him, one of the sources said. Bird is said to be “100 percent” certain he’s leaving after the most successful season of the Pacers’ post-Palace brawl rebuilding, one of the sources said, but has been extremely guarded publicly about his intentions.
When something similar was reported a month ago, Bird denied it. He’ll likely deny this, too.
But this is a lot of arrows pointing in the direction we all thought he would go anyway. It was expected Bird would leave after this season, that seems to be where this is now headed.
If Bird does leave, don’t be shocked to see former Pacers president Donnie Walsh — most recently of turning around the Knicks fortunes — to come back and take the job. Walsh has a good relationship with Simon and is said to want to get back in the game.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18