Apr 27, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT
Ray Allen has sat out nine straight games with bone spurs in his ankles, but veterans suck it up around playoff time, right?
Right. Doc Rivers expects Allen back, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Rivers characterized the likelihood of Allen being available for Sunday’s Game 1 matchup with Atlanta as “probable.”
“In football terms, isn’t that the word they use when it’s more than 50 percent that he’s going to play?” Rivers said. “So let’s put him at probable.”
Allen would come off the bench, Avery Bradley will remain the starter (and is one of the keys to the series for Boston). If he can return and provide a scoring punch off the bench it would be a big boost for Boston. But how much of an impact Allen could have after all that time off remains a question.
“He’s not played in quite a while,” Rivers said. “To go from zero to 100, which is what the playoffs are, is very difficult. But when you put Ray on the floor you still have to guard him. Having him on the floor gives us something; it gives us spacing.”
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 0
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 2
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings