Apr 27, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
Well, this plays pretty much right into the conventional wisdom.
Most of us think that the Heat are title contenders this season and anything short of winning the banner means the year is not a success.
“The season won’t be a failure,” James said. “You put too much work into a season to automatically call it a failure, but it would be a disappointment. This is our goal. This is what we’ve come together for. A failure is a strong word. We commit ourselves and we dedicate our season, we work hard every day and to automatically say it’s a failure, I think that’s a big word. But I think it’d be a disappointment, because that’s what you work hard for every day.”
“I say yes,” (Wade) said. “There’s only one champion. It’s a failure for every other team. If you don’t win a championship, you had a failed year.”
This pretty much plays right into the stereotypes about these guys. What you think of their comments speaks to what you think of them.
Thing is, it is the role players around them that will determine if this season is a success or failure for the Heat. LeBron and Wade both are most effective when they can slash into the paint and create — those lanes will close up if Mike Miller, Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers, Shane Battier and the rest do not make teams pay for that by knocking down threes. If those role players force teams to space the floor, the Heat are hard to stop offensively. But if they miss and teams can pack the paint, the Heat can be beat.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 5
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11