Apr 27, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
Well, this plays pretty much right into the conventional wisdom.
Most of us think that the Heat are title contenders this season and anything short of winning the banner means the year is not a success.
“The season won’t be a failure,” James said. “You put too much work into a season to automatically call it a failure, but it would be a disappointment. This is our goal. This is what we’ve come together for. A failure is a strong word. We commit ourselves and we dedicate our season, we work hard every day and to automatically say it’s a failure, I think that’s a big word. But I think it’d be a disappointment, because that’s what you work hard for every day.”
“I say yes,” (Wade) said. “There’s only one champion. It’s a failure for every other team. If you don’t win a championship, you had a failed year.”
This pretty much plays right into the stereotypes about these guys. What you think of their comments speaks to what you think of them.
Thing is, it is the role players around them that will determine if this season is a success or failure for the Heat. LeBron and Wade both are most effective when they can slash into the paint and create — those lanes will close up if Mike Miller, Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers, Shane Battier and the rest do not make teams pay for that by knocking down threes. If those role players force teams to space the floor, the Heat are hard to stop offensively. But if they miss and teams can pack the paint, the Heat can be beat.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18