Deron Williams wants to have deal in place before Olympics

Apr 27, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT

Taco Bell Skills Challenge Getty Images

Deron Williams is going to London this summer — Team USA is bringing a crazy-good point guard lineup to the Olympics.

Come July 5 he will be in Las Vegas for the start of USA Basketball training camp. Come July 27 he will be in the Opening Ceremonies in London.

By the time he walks in the parade of nations in those Opening Ceremonies, Williams wants to have a deal done, he told the Associated Press.

“The season just ended yesterday,” Williams said. “We have time, playoffs. A lot of stuff is going to happen. Just take my time. But I don’t want to take too much time. I want to try to have something done by the Olympics.”

The smart money is on him landing in his hometown of Dallas to play with Dirk Nowitizki and the Mavericks. But he said the Nets, with their impending move to Brooklyn, still have a shot.

“I’m still looking at all the possibilities here,” Williams said. “I went to the arena a couple days ago and saw how it was and it’s going to be an exciting arena, a great place to play, and I’ve always been confident in this organization. Even though I was opting out, I never said I wasn’t re-signing with the Nets and that still remains the same.”

“(Winning is) first and foremost. I want to go where I feel we have the best chance to win,” he said. “I know we might not win a championship in the first year or two, but hopefully as the chances of building something special and have flexibility and somewhere where I believe they’re headed in the right direction.”

Is that the Nets?

1. karlton2 - Apr 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Is that the Nets?

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    No, it’s actually the Pacers.

5th best record in the league, All-Stars (current/former) at the 3-5 positions, future All-Star at the 2, young, hungry, and only missing a PG.

• deadeyedesign23 - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM

And God know how people are tripping over themselves to live in Indiana.

• karlton2 - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:59 AM

If winning is truly first and foremost (if you have to say it, it probably isn’t), then it’s as good an option as he’ll have next year. The Pacers should also have one of, if not the lowest total payroll for next year so they could also be able to fit his salary.

If he doesn’t want to come to Indiana for other reasons then that’s his choice, just don’t expect people (read: Pacers fans) to believe winning is first and foremost if you go to an aging Mavericks team who barely made the playoffs.

• deadeyedesign23 - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Well I agree with that, but like you said if you have to say it, it probably isn’t about winning. I’m a Net fan and if it’s about winning he’ll be in Dallas.

• raidmagic - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Well if wnning was truely the only point he would take the vet. Mininum and sign with the Heat. As a side note I’m not a Heat fan but tht would be a scary line up.

2. marlin1894 - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Nothing like former all stars and an overrated Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert to lure a perennial all star.

• abchome - Apr 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM

3 times all star in 7 seasons, not as perennial as other perennial all star…

• marlin1894 - Apr 28, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Poor fact checking on my part, but Deron Williams is a top 5 point guard and would of been an all star more often if Chris Paul wasn’t so good.

3. thomaskouns - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

They all say they want to play on teams that can win a championship then go to the best town for the highest bidder after holding their former team hostage so they can keep their Bird Rights.

4. BigBeachBall - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:48 AM

the barclays center in brooklyn is a nice pad…. doubt dwill passes up breaking in that spot….

5. redstar504 - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Read that quote and it tells you a lot about the differences in today’s player vs. players in the past.

This is what I get out of that:
    I don’t want to put in work and earn my championship I want it handed to me. I want to sign a deal that will give me the “flexibility” to bail on my teammates if a championship isn’t happening quick enough so I can go somewhere else more likely to get me a ring.

Maybe if players in the past had the options today’s players have they would have behaved the same way so it is impossible to judge one set against the other, but in the past players would play the hand that was dealt to them and earn it vs. the selfish me and only me attitude so prevalent today.

• marlin1894 - Apr 28, 2012 at 5:04 AM

You can’t blame a guy for wanting to get out of a bad situation which he was traded in to. The Nets don’t exactly have the best front office.

• redstar504 - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM

No your right the Nets are a total mess ownership right down to the ball boys.Your also right that you can’t blame a guy for wanting to get out of that mess. He has the means to do so and he’s likely going to pull the trigger. I still don’t think that makes it right. My main issue with it is, if he bails now it’s really not going to be right, not for a long time. It’s the need for instant gratification that bothers me. He just got there. I know it was via trade so it wasn’t his choice but he is there now. If he stuck it out who is to say it won’t be better in a year or two. Instead he wants to win and wants to win now, so he bolts to another city. The Nets never had a chance to build a winner.

Today’s stars are impatient and it’s their impatience that forces teams into doing dumb things to try to placate their impatient needs. The end result is overpaying for role players and making stupid trades to build an instant contender. If players were more willing to stay the course and give things a chance to develop we would have a more competitive league and better basketball.

The end result of this could be he bolts Brooklyn for Dallas then in a few years Dirk is older he didn’t get the results he wanted so he bolts again. Trashing 3 franchises along the way and still has no ring.

6. boilerup1869 - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Indiana blows

7. rajbais - Apr 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM

“Williams has told the Nets he is going to opt out and test the free agent market this summer, which means come July 1 he is going to have a lot of suitors.”

Suitors = Anything better than Charlotte or New Jersey!!!

8. lakerluver - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Brooklyn or Dallas? I say he goes home to play with a HOF’er in Dallas. Cuban will add pieces and the Mavs will be contenders. The Nets are a long way from contending, even with D. Will. The only hope they have of keeping D. Will is trading for that prima donna in Orlando.

9. darealrandolph - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

im a knicks fan and i see Deron Williams stay in Brooklyn playing with d12 or LaMarcus Aldridge but they need to get Anthony Davis first then trade him for d12 or LA
    NYC over Dallas

10. daniel10017 - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Deron Williams July 1, 2012: It’s great to be in my hometown and play for the Dallas Mavericks.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches