Apr 27, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT
Deron Williams is going to London this summer — Team USA is bringing a crazy-good point guard lineup to the Olympics.
Williams has told the Nets he is going to opt out and test the free agent market this summer, which means come July 1 he is going to have a lot of suitors.
Come July 5 he will be in Las Vegas for the start of USA Basketball training camp. Come July 27 he will be in the Opening Ceremonies in London.
By the time he walks in the parade of nations in those Opening Ceremonies, Williams wants to have a deal done, he told the Associated Press.
“The season just ended yesterday,” Williams said. “We have time, playoffs. A lot of stuff is going to happen. Just take my time. But I don’t want to take too much time. I want to try to have something done by the Olympics.”
The smart money is on him landing in his hometown of Dallas to play with Dirk Nowitizki and the Mavericks. But he said the Nets, with their impending move to Brooklyn, still have a shot.
“I’m still looking at all the possibilities here,” Williams said. “I went to the arena a couple days ago and saw how it was and it’s going to be an exciting arena, a great place to play, and I’ve always been confident in this organization. Even though I was opting out, I never said I wasn’t re-signing with the Nets and that still remains the same.”
“(Winning is) first and foremost. I want to go where I feel we have the best chance to win,” he said. “I know we might not win a championship in the first year or two, but hopefully as the chances of building something special and have flexibility and somewhere where I believe they’re headed in the right direction.”
Is that the Nets?
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 6
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 14
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18