Apr 26, 2012, 4:09 PM EDT
If the Philadelphia 76ers beat a not very impressive Pistons team Thursday night in the last game of the regular season, and if the Knicks lose to the Bobcats…. Okay, that’s not happening.
But in theory it could, and if both those things happen the 76ers would move into the seven seed in the East and draw the Miami Heat not the Chicago Bulls.
“I think we’ll be able to compete well against Chicago and have an opportunity to win the series,” he said. “It means we’re dodging the tougher team. That’s what I think.”
Which really means expect the Sixers to take no chances and tank hard against the Pistons Thursday.
The Sixers are 1-11 against the Heat since LeBron James took his talents to South Beach, and they have looked overmatched and overwhelmed in many of those losses. The Bulls took two of three from the Sixers this season but Philly actually had the better point differential, and over the last two seasons the teams have split their games. The teams have played each other pretty evenly.
But that belies the reality on the court — the Bulls not only have more talent but also execute within their system better at both ends of the court than the Sixers. It’s a five game series, one where for the Bulls it will be about finding their rhythm again before taking on Boston or Atlanta in the second round.
But in the world of crazy longshots, maybe the 76ers are better off with the Bulls.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9