Apr 26, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• A lot of things are still up in the air, but the NBA released a first look at the first games of the first round of the NBA playoffs. That’s a lot of firsts but it’s all we have — the times have not been set, neither have the rest of the games. We just know what teams are playing what days (which the coaches wanted to know so they knew to rest Thursday night).
In the East Chicago will host Philadelphia or New York Saturday, and Miami will host the other half of Philadelphia/New York Saturday as well. Orlando is at Indiana Saturday. Boston and Atlanta play Sunday, we just have yet to find out who gets home court.
• In the West, Utah is at San Antonio Sunday. Oklahoma City will host either Dallas or Denver on Saturday, the Los Angeles Lakers will host the other half off Dallas or Denver on Sunday. The Los Angeles Clippers against Memphis will start Sunday, although which team gets home court will be decided Thursday.
• The Bulls need to win to clinch best record through the playoffs, and Tom Thibodeau said he planned to play his starters 20-30 minutes. With it now announced the Bulls play Saturday, his thinking might change.
• I really like the Jazz’s big lineup — Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson and Derrick Favors all on the floor at once — but let’s not start thinking they can do to San Antonio what Memphis did a year ago.
• A Miami Heat fan did not find the antics of the Phoenix Suns Gorilla mascot funny and punched the guy in the face, giving him a bloody nose.
• Arena talks is Sacramento are not dead, but the doctors still say the prognosis is not good.
• An interview with the former ESPN editor who made the Jeremy Lin headline mistake.
Mar 12, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
NBA guys break out trick shots at practice all the time. Not so much during pregame warmups. Except for Dallas’ Monta Ellis, who practiced some free throws with his eyes closed, and a no-look over-his-head corner three. And nailed it. Maybe he should have broke them out during the game in Golden State Tuesday night…
Mar 12, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
We told you this was coming on Tuesday night, but now the Lakers have made it official: Kobe Bryant is out for the remainder of this NBA season. “Obviously this has been a frustrating and disappointing season, but I appreciate all the support I’ve received from the Lakers and the fans, and look forward to…
Mar 12, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
It’s the NBA — you keep your star players in the loop, you consult with them on big moves, if for no other reason then to make them feel wanted. Elite talent is in limited supply in the NBA, you need to keep those guys happy. So it was only a matter of time before…
Steve Kerr confirms his interest in coaching, understands speculation that he will join Phil Jackson with Knicks
Mar 12, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Steve Kerr sees why you’d make the connection between Phil Jackson, the Knicks, and himself. But he won’t discuss it just yet.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Patrick Beverley went hard after Russell Westbrook from the opening tip on Tuesday, but James Harden says it was a needless distraction.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Thomas grew up a Lakers, Kobe Bryant fan.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
“From that day forward, I knew I was the guy, the leader, and I knew that they trusted me.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has never met Phil Jackson.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
Andrew Bynum looked good against the Celtics Tuesday. It was simple and clear. When basketball coaches say “you can’t teach height” Bynum showed exactly what they mean — matched up on Jared Sullinger and Brandon Bass, Bynum just grabbed rebounds and made shots right over the top of them. He was too big, too physical.…
Mar 12, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
As I’ve watched the Miami Heat excel these last few years, I’ve gained an appreciation for how LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, et al. play the game of basketball. But I’ve also grown to appreciate Heat sideline reporter Jason Jackson. Through all the Heat’s video-bombing, Jackson keeps hitting the right notes. As someone who’s…
Mar 12, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
His second 10-day contract ends Friday.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Andre Iguodala put up an impressive highlight as the Warriors routed the Mavericks.
Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Nothing is final until the ink dries on the contract, but Jackson to the Knicks as team president seems done. It will end poorly but should be an interesting ride.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:22 AM EDT
One really good team won’t make it at all, and at least two excellent teams won’t even make the second round.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:33 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while thinking I never had teachers like that… San Antonio Spurs offense. The Bulls defense has forced everyone they have faced lately into an ugly, grappling fight on the ground that favors Chicago. Even Miami fell victim to it. San Antonio rose above it with…
Mar 12, 2014, 12:32 AM EDT
To be fair Omer Asik was wide open, he just was on the bench at the time when Dwight Howard hit him with a pass.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Kevin Durant led the Thunder to victory with his 42 points, but not before there were plenty of fireworks between the two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant’s recovery has been slower than expected, and the Lakers are reportedly ready to officially shut him down for the season.
Patrick Beverley goes at Russell Westbrook just as he did on the play that caused injury in 2013 playoffs (VIDEO)
Mar 11, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Patrick Beverley gives Russell Westbrook a not-so-subtle reminder of the play that caused Westbrook’s season-ending knee injury in the 2013 playoffs.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
George Karl says that Carmelo Anthony, whom he coached in Denver, isn’t a Phil Jackson type of player. Which means?
- It’s official: Lakers rule out Kobe Bryant for remainder of NBA season 13
- Carmelo Anthony confirms Phil Jackson “will be coming on board” with Knicks 14
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 27
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 17