Apr 26, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
When USA Basketball announced the pool of players it would choose from to select who would represent the USA at the London Olympics this summer, there were 20 names.
Now, there are 16 who can go. Dwight Howard (back), LaMarcus Aldridge (hip) and Chauncey Billups (Achilles) are out due to injury and surgery, while Lamar Odom has been dropped from consideration due to his play (or lack of it). That leaves 16, and a little shortage along the front line.
So is USA basketball going to add to the pool? No, said head honcho Jerry Colangelo to Marc Stein of ESPN.
“We’re not going to add anyone,” Colangelo said Wednesday. “Even with the losses, we still feel like we’re pretty well covered.”
What the injuries mean is that the four existing centers and power forwards still in the pool — Tyson Chandler, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love and Blake Griffin — likely all make the team. (Griffin could be the odd man out because of his lack of a steady outside shot, but his raw athleticism would be a force in transition.) In international ball, where centers step out all the way to the three-point line at times, playing spurts with Love or Bosh at the five and LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony at the four is a very viable option.
In Beijing Team USA had a lot of success with that lineup. The concern for Team USA is the expected gold medal game with Spain, which runs a big lineup out there — Marc and Pau Gasol start at the four and five, plus they bring Serge Ibaka off the bench. But with Andrew Bynum saying he was not going to London this year to play, the United States does not have a lot of other true centers of quality to fall back on. (Look, I like DeMarcus Cousins and Roy Hibbert, but no. Not yet.) So USA Basketball will dance with the guys on the card.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28