Apr 26, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Tyreke Evans was the NBA Rookie of the Year, and attacking combo guard who seemed to have a bright future as an anchor for a rebuilding Sacramento Kings team.
But his game has stagnated. Part of that is due to injuries (he is now healthy again), part of it is how he fits in and gets his shots in the Kings offense. He was a point guard, but that wasn’t working out and now he’s being tried out at the three. In the seemingly rare moments he works off the ball or attacks in transition things go well, but he gets most of his offense in isolation and he is shooting just 33.7 percent in that situation (via mysynergysports.com). He wants the ball in his hands, the Kings want the ball more in DeMarcus Cousins’ hands.
So the Kings will listen to trade offers for Evans as he enters the fourth year of his rookie deal, reports Ailene Voisin at the Sacramento Bee.
“I don’t think it’s any big secret,” Princeton legend and longtime Kings consultant Pete Carril said the other night. “Tyreke’s got to learn to play without the ball. It’s all there. I see some games, and he looks very good. Other games … he just has to work harder. I’d love to see him develop a mid-range game.”
This season Evans shot 28 percent from 16 feet out to the arc and 21 percent from three. After his rookie year he hasn’t shot better than 33 percent in any area once he gets outside the restricted area around the basket (via Hoopdata.com)
Because of the flaws in Evans’ game teams are going to lowball the Kings with offers. It’s going to be hard to make a deal. The Kings will want return based on a guy who was the Rookie of the Year and can attack the rim with a vengeance, but other teams will face the Kings problem of trying to see where he fits in a roster.
The bigger problem comes in a year when Evans rookie deal is up. He will want to get paid like a Rookie of the Year but may find nobody really sees him that way anymore.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40