Kobe says Griffin needs to “smack the f— out of somebody”

Apr 26, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT

Kobe Bryant, Blake Griffin AP

It’s been a big concern for the Clippers, the hard fouls Blake Griffin has started to take. From Jason Smith to Robin Lopez guys are getting ejected knocking Griffin around, and other guys are not getting ejected for some physical play on the Clippers star.

Kobe Bryant has been there and says Griffin needs to knock somebody around, to send a message to the league. Not dunk on them, really knock them around.

And he said it in a very Kobe way. Here is what he told Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“I’d smack the f— out of somebody,” Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Wednesday. “I’ve known him for a while and he’s a really nice guy so I don’t know if he’d want to do that. But I would. I would’ve done it early in the year….

“I saw Shaq crack somebody his first year. I did it my first few years. Sometimes people feel like they can take advantage of you, they hit you and this, that, and the other. Sometimes you have to say, ‘Look, you’re not going to do this to me. I’ll take two games but you’re not going to put my health at risk by injuring me potentially. It’s not going to happen.’ “

Somewhere, David Stern just involuntarily cringed.

DeAndre Jordan, Griffin’s teammate and friend, has talked about coming in to defend Griffin if it happens again.

Which is really when it happens again because the book on Griffin is to foul and foul hard — he is only shooting 52 percent from the stripe so it’s a good strategy to foul him rather than let him dunk. But he’s so strong that if you do foul you had better get your money’s worth or he will get an and-1. So the hard fouls keep coming. And Griffin may need to push back because he’s learning that just complaining to the referees doesn’t work and comes off poorly with fans.

He shouldn’t do it during the playoffs, but early next season don’t be shocked if Griffin pushes back on somebody.

1. seanb20124 - Apr 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Kobe becomes irrelevant in like 2-3
    Seasons.

• stadix093 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

You’ve probably been irrelevant your entire life. At least he had a good run.

• drunkenjunk - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM

you’re a douche

• 24thesho - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Hey, I noticed your thumb, I mean, dumb score; right now, you’re losing, actually, you are winning the dumb part.

2. kacapaco - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM

He should smack the F**k out of one bully-wanna-be. Then they will respect him. It will be cool if he starts with bullies like KG or MWP.

• florida727 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

So what you’re saying is, he needs to do “an Artest”… on Artest (or KG)? I’m good with that. Agree with Kurt. Wait until next season. Smack the livin’ crap out of somebody, take a nice, solid, 8-10 game suspension, and when you come back, nobody will f*ck with you. Pretty solid advice if you ask me.

• chuckj1234 - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Hell I would do it in the playoffs. Might be worth it. They ain’t gonna win anyway. take somone with you.

• ss3walkman - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Please, I hope not. As big and as strong as he is he better not try no stuff like that on MWP. He’s not playing bully. We wouldn’t want Griffin putting his body, career or life on the line. MWP is just as strong if not stronger and has a zero tolerance policy. Let’s have Griffin take baby steps. You gotta crawl before you can walk.

• stayhigh_247 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM

@kacapaco
      i would not advise him to do anything to MWP, that would not be a good move, maybe KG because we know he’s selling woof tickets, but Metta, nah he’s too far out there..

• 24thesho - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Nah, he’s just from Queensbridge, N.Y.; they don’t play that sh*t!

• therealhtj - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

He ought to go after Ibaka. That dude proved what a fake tough guy he is squaring up against MWP after “the elbow.”

It was like that scene in Friday when Red’s dad tried to step to Debo after Red got knocked the F out. “You want some too old man?” Ibaka, was like “N-n-n- NO!”

Where was Ibaka’s T on that by the way?

• mornelithe - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

KG talks a TOOOOOON of smack on the court, I think we’re all pretty much aware of that…but does he really hard foul that much (Asking seriously)? But yeah, he runs face constantly, someone’s going to get tired of it eventually.

• thatsrightmike - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Right – just like Kobe smacked the F**k outta Raja Bell? …

3. cleonslamminsalmon - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

When did Kobe do that? I hope he’s not referring to Chris Childs lighting his face up…

• stadix093 - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I am thinking he probably means the sharp elbows people get to their necks. Even Artest can attest to some of those.

• chuckj1234 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Kobe talks a lot of trash talk. Still does.

4. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Kobe/Laker haters always finding a reason to come out and speak their pathetic nonsense…

5. mat9844 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Blake is getting back at them in the best possible way; his last few games have been some of the best in his career. I’m sure he’ll take care of business when he thinks it’s necessary.

• 24thesho - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Blake’s dad is a black man….., and he will talk to him about that soon enough. Haha! Can_You_Dig_It?!

6. skolvikesskol - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Or the refs and the league do their job… Reason 1,432 that i quit watching bball except for the finals…

• berto55 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM

And yet you post on basketball rumor and news sites….odd.

• gmen4life33 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM

lol I was thinking the same thing. all these people who “quit watching” still watch the playoffs, who are you trying to kid

• skolvikesskol - May 9, 2012 at 11:30 PM

DUH! its the playoffs… like i said in the post… dont watch till the championships…. so i might read a little bit about the playoffs as a warmup… glad to know the fans are still as dumb as the sport

7. tyelaw18 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Seanb, So your saying he won’t b relevant in his 19th year? Lol- who is? Kobe is still the best closer and very relevant in his 16 th year!

8. hollywood26 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Kobe is talking a basketball smack. There are plenty of ways to get one without getting fined to death. You and a dude get tangled in the paint and you give him that little bow. Or a dude keeps hacking you on the shot? Well that follow through might just smack you in the face. Oh well.

• florida727 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I like that last suggestion… a LOT.

9. alimoe87 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Yeah Yeah Kobe we haven’t seen you beating up anyone since you were in the league
    Stop being tough

10. connaniii - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Kobe can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?

• 24thesho - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Well, I know he can shoot the shot!

11. jagwar73 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Dwight Howard should’ve done the same thing. Look what happened to him now, back surgery. Do the right thing Blake, send a message before it’s too late!

12. 1historian - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I’ve said on a number of occasions that the way Griffin dunks – he seems to go out of his way to humiliate the guy he’s dunking on – is going to be his downfall. I still believe that.

If you wanna dunk, go for it. But if you keep humiliating people, be ready for the consequences.

And they will come.

• kappneffect - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Really… humilate them? How so? Is he dunking too hard? Is he too excited? Does he stand over dudes and point? I do not agree with that statement at all…. He takes the dunks as they come.

As far as taking revenge– I wouldn’t take the low road and risk injuries from a pointless scuffle. Let the powers that be take care of it– and that means karma, not Stern/refs.

13. adm350 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Kobe’s right. Blake’s teammates should have his back but they don’t. Respect for Blake to walk away, but sometimes you gotta push back. Not talking about hurting someone, but the bullies will bully until you stand up to them. And I’m not a huge Kobe fan, but he has walked and talked to a handful of rings. That’s not irrelevant. He earned his right to talk all he wants.

14. diablito0402 - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I dont see anyone pushing bryant around these days, do you?

15. nygrwy - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Who has Kobe smacked? If I remember correctly he had it put on him a couple of times.

16. patfic15 - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Kobe…I would never describe him as hard.

17. tpdsdomer - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

While I’ve always respected Kobe as a truly great player and a vicious competitor, I’ve never much liked him, and part of that is I never could stand the Lakers. However, I do respect him speaking in support of Griffin, who plays for Kobe’s crosstown rival team. To me that shows he’s at least a bit of a sportsman and that’s very impressive to see. Stay classy, Kobe!

18. lakerluver - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Of course THE BLACK MAMBA Is correct. Kobe may not be the biggest dude in the NBA but you don’t see too many dudes taking cheap shots at him. He demands his respect and Blake doesn’t. Remember when Shaq threw the roundhouse at Brad Miller’s dome? Yeah, he missed (thank God!), but it let other chumps know not to cheap shot him anymore. Blake, it’s time to throw a haymaker at someone’s chin, Bro.

19. adm350 - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Don’t even have to be HARD….just don’t be soft. Man up!!

20. kinguga - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Who says Blake can’t smack the eff out of somebody in the playoffs? He better do it in Game 1 to send the message. After all, you don’t have to get thrown out of a game to get a point across.

21. mytthor - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Here’s my suggestion for Blake Griffin, with all due respect to Princess Kobe (and I say that affectionately – I own a Kobe jersey, but let’s face it, Charles Oakley he is not):

Step 1) Make 75% of your free throws.
    Step 2) Stop preening after every dunk like a fucking peacock
    Result) Fewer hard fouls.

that is all.

22. mrjay37 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

all he need to do is start leading with his knee on a dunk……a couple of knees to the chin, rib, or sternum will prove its not worth getting in his way

23. zer0sand0nes - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hit >70% of your FTs & watch how quickly the rough stuff dissipates.

24. fouldwimmerlaik - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I see a new Kobe Bryant Action Figure in my future: Kobe Bryant The Enforcer. Kobe is such a star. Anything he wants, he takes. I have set up my parent’s basement for the playoffs. I won’t leave until Kobe wins it all.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches