Apr 26, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
While rumors are floating around that Knicks owner James Dolan will still make a big money run at Phil Jackson, the best coach for that team may well be the guy doing the job right now.
And general manager Glen Grunwald — fresh off having the interim tag ripped off his title — likes the idea of brining back Mike Woodson, reports the New York Post out of Grunwald’s press conference.
“Woody has done a fantastic job,’’ Grunwald said at a press conference one day after he formally had the “interim’’ tag removed from his title. “I can’t give him enough credit for the job he’s done. Normally coaching changes don’t result in such a dramatic improvement in a team’s performance. I’ve known Woody a long time. We’ve had our separation, but to see how he’s grown as a coach and person after six years in Atlanta, that kind of experience he got there growing the team, and improved them over his tenure, and to see firsthand him working as a head coach here is very impressive.’’
That and other comments make it sound like he’s sold — but it’s not his call, it’s Dolan’s call. And who knows what Dolan is thinking? Would it really stun you if Dolan made a run at Jackson or John Calipari or even Gregg Popovich? Just because.
Keeping Woodson (and having Grunwald on staff) also keeps open ties within the Knicks to Isiah Thomas. The one specter that scares Knicks fans. Again from the New York Post.
Knicks interim coach Mike Woodson and Isiah Thomas met for dinner Tuesday night in Westchester County, hours after Glen Grunwald got promoted as the permanent executive VP/GM, according to sources.
Woodson, Thomas and Grunwald were teammates on the Indiana University basketball club for three seasons. Thomas, fired by Florida International earlier this month, is seeking employment and has lobbied hard with owner James Dolan to try to get back to the Knicks in some capacity.
Lets not go too overboard here — these are old college friends getting together for dinner. I’m sure they tried to talk basketball and their wives rolled their eyes and tried to change the topic.
But again, this is Dolan as captain of the ship. Would it shock you if he brought Thomas back in as a consultant? He’s already tried to do that once, and now that Thomas is not tied to the college game anymore… just sayin’.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29