Apr 26, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
The last time a lot of people wanted to wear a Bulls jersey was… oh, yea, back when the Bobcats owner played for them.
Derrick Rose has a long way to go before he is mentioned in the same breath with Michael Jordan, but he is filling in that gap in some ways. For example, he led the NBA in jersey sales, the league reported. These are sales at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue and on NBAStore.com from last April to now.
Rose was fifth last year but his win as MVP and the Bulls playoff run last year vaulted his popularity and status among fans.
Second place went to Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin, who sold more jerseys during the regular season than anyone. Like the couple weeks of Linsanity itself it was a perfect storm of Lin being in New York and also reaching deeply into the Asian American demographic.
In terms of team merchandise, it was the Bulls in first followed by the Knicks, Lakers, Heat and Mavericks.
Both the Knicks and Celtics had three players in the top 15 in player jersey sales. For New York, Amare Stoudemire joined Lin and ‘Melo. For Boston it was Rajon Rondo (No. 10), Ray Allen (No. 12) and Paul Pierce (No. 13).
One other interesting note: the Clippers had two players in the top 15 with Blake Griffin (No. 9) and Chris Paul (No. 15). The last time the Clippers featured two players was in April 2002 with Darius Miles and Lamar Odom.
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91