Apr 25, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
Check out this rumor from the Journal Times in Racine.
If the New York Knicks don’t advance beyond the first round of the playoffs, I’m hearing they’ll make a major — repeat, major — push to lure legendary coach Phil Jackson out of retirement. With money being no object, the scuttlebutt is the Knicks brass may offer the “Zen Master” a four-year, $50 million deal.
First off, while that is major money, it’s not really more than he made at his peak during his second stint with the Lakers, when he pulled $12 million a year. (At the request of owner Jerry Buss Jackson took a pay cut his last season.)
There is a buzz around the idea of Phil Jackson to the Knicks — owner James Dolan wants to win and wants to make a splash and this would be the biggest splash there is. Jackson was a player on the last Knicks team to win a title in 1973 and has long had an affinity for the city. He brings 11 rings. Of course, also he brings an offensive system that is a questionable fit for the roster (especially if they go after Steve Nash).
But I still think that the physical grind on Jackson was too much last time around. Just watching him that last season with the Lakers, I don’t think he wants to come back and be a head coach anymore. His health and ability to enjoy all that money he already has earned matters to him and I think wins out in the end.
The Knicks may flirt with others — John Calipari, maybe — but may well end up back at Woodson. Who has done a good job getting the Knicks to play defense. He has earned another crack at this. And he comes in at a better price than Jackson.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 38
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20