Apr 25, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
Check out this rumor from the Journal Times in Racine.
If the New York Knicks don’t advance beyond the first round of the playoffs, I’m hearing they’ll make a major — repeat, major — push to lure legendary coach Phil Jackson out of retirement. With money being no object, the scuttlebutt is the Knicks brass may offer the “Zen Master” a four-year, $50 million deal.
First off, while that is major money, it’s not really more than he made at his peak during his second stint with the Lakers, when he pulled $12 million a year. (At the request of owner Jerry Buss Jackson took a pay cut his last season.)
There is a buzz around the idea of Phil Jackson to the Knicks — owner James Dolan wants to win and wants to make a splash and this would be the biggest splash there is. Jackson was a player on the last Knicks team to win a title in 1973 and has long had an affinity for the city. He brings 11 rings. Of course, also he brings an offensive system that is a questionable fit for the roster (especially if they go after Steve Nash).
But I still think that the physical grind on Jackson was too much last time around. Just watching him that last season with the Lakers, I don’t think he wants to come back and be a head coach anymore. His health and ability to enjoy all that money he already has earned matters to him and I think wins out in the end.
The Knicks may flirt with others — John Calipari, maybe — but may well end up back at Woodson. Who has done a good job getting the Knicks to play defense. He has earned another crack at this. And he comes in at a better price than Jackson.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23