Apr 25, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
Part of this is that players never say anything bad about a coach days away from handing out playoff minutes (well, unless you are Dwight Howard), but there is also a real groundswell behind Knicks Mike Woodson right now — the team is 16-6 under him as interim coach.
After the season ends (meaning after the first round of the playoffs), the Knicks have to make a decision about the coach for next season.
“I would love to see him around here past this year,” Anthony said. “Just to see what he’s brought to our team, the confidence that he’s instilled into everybody, the belief that he has in everybody. Just his coaching style, the way he’s coached, kind of a hard-nosed coach. Holds everybody accountable out there, saying that everybody is responsible for their own actions. I would love to see him back here.”
“Coach Woodson has done a great job for us,” Stoudemire said. “He’s done a phenomenal, phenomenal job. I love his attitude. I love his coaching style. It would be nice.”
If the Knicks surprise in the playoffs, Woodson’s job is safe. But the likely outcome is the Knicks get the Heat and get overwhelmed and sent packing pretty quickly.
Owner James Dolan is said to favor a big name — Phil Jackson will come up, although I still don’t think he wants to return to the sideline. Kentucky coach John Calipari’s name will come up no matter how much he denies interest. But Woodson is the bird in the hand and the team has responded to him. Woodson also did a good job building up the team in Atlanta when he was there. He’s a good choice.
Woodson can take this team forward, but if they are going to compete with the Heat and Bulls the question isn’t the coach but the talent level on the roster.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40