Apr 25, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
Minnesota is a team on the rise — Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio give them a base of young stars, Nikola Pekovic is a solid big to put in the middle, the there are guys like Derrick Johnson who is developing and Wes Johnson (more question marks there) rounding out a young roster.
What would speed the Wolves maturation process along is some veterans on the roster.
Which is exactly what coach Rick Adelman told the Star-Tribune he would push for (with smart comments in the first graph from beat writer Jerry Zgoda).
Somehow, someway, the Wolves must come away from this summer considerably improved, whether it’s by developing Williams and Johnson, dealing a young player(s) and draft picks for a veteran player or signing a veteran free agent. Any of the three ways can change the complexion of a team that veteran J.J. Barea the other night said has too few players who care enough about winning.
“We have to be aggressive in all those areas,” Adelman said. “We still have a really nice core group. We’ve got to get them healthy and we’ve got to add to those people.”
The bottom line is this — David Kahn, for all his bad moves, has built a nice your core. The question is now can he develop it? This is Kahn we are talking about.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 39
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4