Apr 25, 2012, 8:59 PM EST
Minnesota is a team on the rise — Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio give them a base of young stars, Nikola Pekovic is a solid big to put in the middle, the there are guys like Derrick Johnson who is developing and Wes Johnson (more question marks there) rounding out a young roster.
What would speed the Wolves maturation process along is some veterans on the roster.
Which is exactly what coach Rick Adelman told the Star-Tribune he would push for (with smart comments in the first graph from beat writer Jerry Zgoda).
Somehow, someway, the Wolves must come away from this summer considerably improved, whether it’s by developing Williams and Johnson, dealing a young player(s) and draft picks for a veteran player or signing a veteran free agent. Any of the three ways can change the complexion of a team that veteran J.J. Barea the other night said has too few players who care enough about winning.
“We have to be aggressive in all those areas,” Adelman said. “We still have a really nice core group. We’ve got to get them healthy and we’ve got to add to those people.”
The bottom line is this — David Kahn, for all his bad moves, has built a nice your core. The question is now can he develop it? This is Kahn we are talking about.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 0
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)