Apr 24, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
When Reggie Evans sold a foul like there was a sniper in the grassy knoll at Staples Center (you can see the video above, where a flagrant 2 was rightly reduced to a personal foul) it brought up a discussion of the Clippers and flopping. As in they do it a lot. As in people are starting to call them “flop city.”
Well, not if you ask Vinny Del Negro. His team needs to flop more, he thinks. He stood in there and took the charge for his team. Here is the quote, via the Orange County Register.
“We’re flopping a lot? I wish we would flop a lot. Maybe we’d get some charges,” he said. “I don’t know anybody on our team that flops. It’s all around the league. I wouldn’t say our team is a flopping team at all — maybe one or two guys. If we get the call, I like it.”
Um, yes you are flopping a lot. The Clippers may lead the league there.
You can argue that the Clippers and their attacking style means they also take a lot of hard fouls, that’s a legit complaint. Some of that goes uncalled, I’ll give you that as well. But the Clippers flop and complain about calls with the best of them. Or worst, depending on your interpretation. The video evidence litters YouTube. Or look at TrueHoop’s list of the league’s biggest floppers.
Blake Griffin can be quite the actor. Here is my personal favorite, asking for a call after he hits himself in the face.
Chris Paul also has a long history of selling calls — this is a competitive guy who has always needed to do everything possible to get his teams to win. This is older but still a favorite, a compilation via Royce Young of Daily Thunder of all CP3’s flop in one game.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6