Apr 24, 2012, 2:05 PM EDT
When Reggie Evans sold a foul like there was a sniper in the grassy knoll at Staples Center (you can see the video above, where a flagrant 2 was rightly reduced to a personal foul) it brought up a discussion of the Clippers and flopping. As in they do it a lot. As in people are starting to call them “flop city.”
Well, not if you ask Vinny Del Negro. His team needs to flop more, he thinks. He stood in there and took the charge for his team. Here is the quote, via the Orange County Register.
“We’re flopping a lot? I wish we would flop a lot. Maybe we’d get some charges,” he said. “I don’t know anybody on our team that flops. It’s all around the league. I wouldn’t say our team is a flopping team at all — maybe one or two guys. If we get the call, I like it.”
Um, yes you are flopping a lot. The Clippers may lead the league there.
You can argue that the Clippers and their attacking style means they also take a lot of hard fouls, that’s a legit complaint. Some of that goes uncalled, I’ll give you that as well. But the Clippers flop and complain about calls with the best of them. Or worst, depending on your interpretation. The video evidence litters YouTube. Or look at TrueHoop’s list of the league’s biggest floppers.
Blake Griffin can be quite the actor. Here is my personal favorite, asking for a call after he hits himself in the face.
Chris Paul also has a long history of selling calls — this is a competitive guy who has always needed to do everything possible to get his teams to win. This is older but still a favorite, a compilation via Royce Young of Daily Thunder of all CP3’s flop in one game.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17