Apr 24, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
Nicolas Batum is a restricted free agent that the Trail Blazers do not want to give up this summer — but that’s going to cost them. A lot of teams covet him. Smart teams.
Like the San Antonio Spurs.
They are going to come after him this summer reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
The number I’m hearing Portland Trail Blazers forward Nicolas Batum will command this offseason is $10-11 million per, according to a few league executives when Batum becomes a restricted free agent.
And, I’m being told by multiple sources that the San Antonio Spurs will make a hard push to attain the promising small forward.
Because Batum is a restricted free agent, the Blazers can match any offer to him. They had a chance to get a contract extension done before January 25 —for less than they will pay this summer — but not only could they not reach a deal the talks created a lot of bad blood between the agent and team. Of course, when it comes to money that kind of ill will can disappear quickly. There also were teams that asked about Batum at the trade deadline but the Blazers were not listening.
Batum is a coveted swingman for a reason — he is one of the best wing defenders in the league, plays smart on offense and averages 13.9 points per game this season, plus he is shooting 39 percent from three. There isn’t a team in the league that couldn’t use Batum.
This summer some will be willing to pay for him, the question becomes will the Blazers match. Which in part may depend on who there GM is at that time. But that’s another issue.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18