Apr 24, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
Nicolas Batum is a restricted free agent that the Trail Blazers do not want to give up this summer — but that’s going to cost them. A lot of teams covet him. Smart teams.
Like the San Antonio Spurs.
They are going to come after him this summer reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
The number I’m hearing Portland Trail Blazers forward Nicolas Batum will command this offseason is $10-11 million per, according to a few league executives when Batum becomes a restricted free agent.
And, I’m being told by multiple sources that the San Antonio Spurs will make a hard push to attain the promising small forward.
Because Batum is a restricted free agent, the Blazers can match any offer to him. They had a chance to get a contract extension done before January 25 —for less than they will pay this summer — but not only could they not reach a deal the talks created a lot of bad blood between the agent and team. Of course, when it comes to money that kind of ill will can disappear quickly. There also were teams that asked about Batum at the trade deadline but the Blazers were not listening.
Batum is a coveted swingman for a reason — he is one of the best wing defenders in the league, plays smart on offense and averages 13.9 points per game this season, plus he is shooting 39 percent from three. There isn’t a team in the league that couldn’t use Batum.
This summer some will be willing to pay for him, the question becomes will the Blazers match. Which in part may depend on who there GM is at that time. But that’s another issue.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45