Apr 24, 2012, 8:56 AM EDT
Ray Allen has missed 13 games with a sore ankle and now his availability for the playoffs starting this weekend is coming into question.
Allen admitted Monday that he is battling bone spurs in his ankle, which is adding to the problem, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
“The other day when it swelled,” Allen said, “they say they could be the size of a grain of sand but they’re not supposed to be in there so as they swell, they move around and as the swelling goes down, they rest.”
Bone spurs are small, pointed outgrowths of bone that occur where there has been a lot of wear and tear on a body. Say, hypothetically, the ankles of a veteran professional basketball player.
If the inflammation goes down Allen could get back on the court, maybe as early as Thursday in the Celtics final regular season game. Allen will not play Tuesday.
The Celtics will take on the Atlanta Hawks in the first round of the playoffs, starting this weekend. The schedule of games has not yet been set by the league, in part because home court between the two teams is not decided. While the Celtics are the four seed by virtue of winning the Atlantic division, that does not guarantee them home court. Currently the Hawks have a one game lead over the Celtics.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'