Apr 23, 2012, 1:58 AM EST
To that end — or maybe as a red flag about those hopes, depending on how you view it — both Bogut and Curry are going to have ankle surgery this Wednesday in Los Angeles, reports Matt Steinmetz at CSNBayArea.com.
Bogut’s surgery means he will not be able to play for his native Australia in the London Olympics this summer.
Bogut fractured his ankle back in January, before the Warriors traded for him. Bogut tweeted the news that he was going to have arthroscopic surgery and said it was to have his ankle “cleaned out.”
“There are appear to be some small, loose particles and even possibly some scar tissue that can be cleaned out with as a scope,” (Warriors GM Larry) Riley said. “And therefore give him the best chance to have a great summer and be fully recovered probably within six weeks.
Curry has had trouble with his right ankle for a couple seasons. He had surgery last summer to tighten the ligaments in his ankle but the problems persisted this season.
“The MRIs are conclusive to some degree but not totally conclusive,” Riley said of previous tests. “The advice of the doctors is we will know best if we do a scope and take a look at it and see if there’s anything that needs to be done from there.
“Steph did everything he possibly could to try to get ready to play. It’s just recently all of us decided that this would give us the appropriate amount of time that’s needed to take care of that surgery and do everything we can not to compromise next season.”
Curry hopes to be back and practicing with the Warriors’ Summer League team in Las Vegas starting July 13.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 0
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 12
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41