Apr 23, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
If James Harden were not James Harden and the runaway winner for Sixth Man of the Year, Lou Williams could win that award. He comes off the bench to lead Philadelphia in scoring — the first bench guy to lead a team in scoring since Dell Curry (or as Stephen calls him, pops) — and he is the guy Philly turns to at the end of games because he can create his own shot.
And this summer, Williams is going to test the free agent market. That was kind of expected, but the Philadelphia Daily News has the report:
Guard Lou Williams, the 76ers’ leading scorer (14.9 points per game), will opt out of the final year of his contract at the end of this season and become an unrestricted free agent, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.
Williams is due to make $6.4 million and almost certainly will get a pay raise and a multiple years on his deal by opting out. The Sixers may try to keep him but they likely will not pay as much as some other teams.
There are going to be changes to the Sixers roster this summer. Spencer Hawes and Jodie Meeks are free agents and can walk. Also, you know they are going to try and shop Elton Brand and the final year of his contract — he has played fairly well but not near the level of what he is making.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 30
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 31
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23