Apr 23, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
I’ll say this up front — take this report with a whole handful of salt. This situation is more complex and fluid that just simple ultimatums.
“The minute this season is over, according to what I am hearing from his camp, you can expect Dwight Howard to tell Orlando. ‘Get me out of here. I don’t want to be here any longer.’ You’ve got Stan Van Gundy annoyed with the organization. You’ve got Dwight Howard disgusted with the organization. The way he’s been treated, along with the way his teammates have been AWOL on him as far as he’s concerned. You’ve got a problem.”
First off, be sure that a denial is coming from Howard. Also remember this comes from someone in Howard’s camp — his camp has always been more eager to get him out of Orlando than Howard himself has seemed willing to go. Consider this another push from Howard’s camp trying push their agenda along.
While the Magic trading Howard and trying to move on from this debacle makes some sense, their actions have been to bend over backwards to try and appease and keep him. It’s hard to see that changing — he is their superstar. It seems more likely Van Gundy is let go and the Magic try hard again to make Howard happy so he’ll stay. They may eventually trade him, I just think they are not done trying to keep him yet.
But clearly somebody in the Howard camp wants to rattle some cages, so they are telling Smith things like this:
Not to mention the fact, there’s one other little Cliff Note that you might find interesting. When he had his back surgery, they were talking about giving him a flight on AirTran or something like that. This is the kind of stuff that I’ve been told in the last 24 hours in terms of how they’ve treated him. He feels as a superstar, he’s been treated as a scrub.”
Again, salt. Lots of salt.
One thing that has come out of all this — Howard has pretty much taken his image and run it through the mud. Another guy who did that after dumping his first agent to bring more family and friends into his inner circle.
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 2
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54