Metta World Peace tweets apology to Harden for elbow

Apr 23, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT

It’s not exactly a traditional apology like your mother used to make your say to your Aunt when you said at age 10 you hated her cooking, but clearly the gravity of what Metta World Peace did has hit him.

Here is what he tweeted Sunday evening.

source:

source:

As I’ve said, I don’t think this was malicious from MWP, I just think he lacks impulse control and filters that most of us gain as we mature. (That includes NBA players and other professional athletes.) He was pumped up and he just let it fly when nearly everyone else would have been held back in that situation.

You get the sense from these tweets World Peace knows a pretty stiff punishment is coming. There is some CYA here. But World Peace has worked hard to rehab his reputation in recent years (crediting his therapist when the Lakers won the title and taking on mental health awareness campaigns) but on the court he still has those moments.

The Lakers are going to miss World Peace while he is out — in his last 10 games he has averaged 15.9 points per game on 49.6 percent shooting and is hitting 35 percent of his threes, plus playing some good defense. On a team with depth issues he is hard to replace when playing like that.

1. truprof - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Metta Whirled Peas (for brains) – “‘Outta my way sucka’, I jes’ got me a slam dunk and now I’m gonna punk yo’ sorry a$$!”

Can you imagine the uproar of someone had clobbered Kobe like that? Lakers fans would be calling for a lifetime ban on the dude!

2. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:23 PM

All you PC Pansies whining won’t change the fact that he will be in the starting lineup for Game 1 of the playoffs.

AS HE SHOULD.

• abchome - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM

For the Los Angeles D-Fenders next year? Could be!

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You took the Breen cue, overreacting like he always does — and thought it was going to affect the outcome. The League isn’t as stupid as you schmucks appear to be.

• mlblogscubfanbudman621 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

bet he won’t! Idiot!

• truprof - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Then OKC neesd to have Perkins deliver a well placed elbow to Kobe’s head and Perk should be allowed to continue to play. AS HE SHOULD! Right?

3. bigbluenoser - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

$2500 fine

4. bbeaman78 - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM

How blind are people watching the replay video. He bumps into Harden, looks left and cocks his elbow and jacks him. Am I blind? The guy went into the stand and decked a fan. He should be suspended the rest of the year. That was as intentional as it gets. If I hear one more dumb ass media person say ” it obviously wasn’t intentional”

Obviously the media and commentators have gotten dumber. I just can’t understand how people are naive and stupid. Just can’t find the words to point out how blatantly stupid people look defending this idiot. I mean I throw elbows all the time when I celebrate.

5. dawgpoundmember - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM

How is there even a fence for this guy? He is probably the top reason I stopped watching NBA all together. Hanging out his window saying “I would like to take time off to start my record label started” explains everything about him.
    I have played sports, I have hit my chest, your own elbow doesn’t go above your shoulder, and you do not put force of your arm in that direction.
    The NBA should have negotiated during the lockout not to bring him back. I hope they grow some balls like some of MLB and actually give him a lifetime band.

6. BigBeachBall - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM

it was just a playoff foul….Quit crying babies…

• tibbs7 - Apr 24, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Seems like you already took a shot to the head.

7. mlblogscubfanbudman621 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM

what a dumb, lying Thuh Nug! League needs to make example of “Gang Bangers” who are violent, ruthless apes attempting to play sports!

8. mlblogscubfanbudman621 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

if that was an apology, then I’m GOD!

9. wakiash - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM

How about an “inadvertent” but well-meaning lifetime ban from the NBA? Not just from playing or coaching, but from entering any arena or being hired as an “NBA analyst” (code for “too stupid to get a real job and they owe me favors”).

The man is a psychotic criminal who should not be allowed around children, much less the sport. He has shown a continued history of violence, and is likely than not to kill someone (involuntarily or not) unless some type of intervention is taken.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches