Apr 23, 2012, 2:55 PM EST
It’s not exactly a traditional apology like your mother used to make your say to your Aunt when you said at age 10 you hated her cooking, but clearly the gravity of what Metta World Peace did has hit him.
Here is what he tweeted Sunday evening.
As I’ve said, I don’t think this was malicious from MWP, I just think he lacks impulse control and filters that most of us gain as we mature. (That includes NBA players and other professional athletes.) He was pumped up and he just let it fly when nearly everyone else would have been held back in that situation.
You get the sense from these tweets World Peace knows a pretty stiff punishment is coming. There is some CYA here. But World Peace has worked hard to rehab his reputation in recent years (crediting his therapist when the Lakers won the title and taking on mental health awareness campaigns) but on the court he still has those moments.
The Lakers are going to miss World Peace while he is out — in his last 10 games he has averaged 15.9 points per game on 49.6 percent shooting and is hitting 35 percent of his threes, plus playing some good defense. On a team with depth issues he is hard to replace when playing like that.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 4
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 11
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 13
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 28
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7