Metta World Peace tweets apology to Harden for elbow

Apr 23, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT

It’s not exactly a traditional apology like your mother used to make your say to your Aunt when you said at age 10 you hated her cooking, but clearly the gravity of what Metta World Peace did has hit him.

Here is what he tweeted Sunday evening.

source:

source:

As I’ve said, I don’t think this was malicious from MWP, I just think he lacks impulse control and filters that most of us gain as we mature. (That includes NBA players and other professional athletes.) He was pumped up and he just let it fly when nearly everyone else would have been held back in that situation.

You get the sense from these tweets World Peace knows a pretty stiff punishment is coming. There is some CYA here. But World Peace has worked hard to rehab his reputation in recent years (crediting his therapist when the Lakers won the title and taking on mental health awareness campaigns) but on the court he still has those moments.

The Lakers are going to miss World Peace while he is out — in his last 10 games he has averaged 15.9 points per game on 49.6 percent shooting and is hitting 35 percent of his threes, plus playing some good defense. On a team with depth issues he is hard to replace when playing like that.

1. usavebob - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Just like my kids when they got yelled at for doing something wrong and were waiting to hear the punishment. If they said they were really sorry, perhaps it would go better for them. The first time offense met with light punishment versus the third or fourth. It’s time for a permanent grounding.

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Completely Agree. Also… Can you imagine your kids tweeting you an apology?

• trollaikman8 - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Not malicious. This is a non issue. Let’s move on.
      He said sorry for the unintentional elbow….i’m still waiting on Hardin’s apology for trying to cause a cheap charging foul.

• grhopper - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’m sorry, this thug has a record a mile long. Past suspensions haven’t registered or served to change his foolish and abhorent behavior. The only thing that make sense is for the NBA to send a message he finally can understand…Lifetime ban!! Kick him out of the league. It is a privledge to play in the NBA, and he has misused it for the last time.

• truprof - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Keep waiting. As a matter of fact, hold your breath while you wait.

• truprof - Apr 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yea, like players apologize all the time for trying to draw cheap fouls. Get a clue!

2. skids003 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Not malicious!!! Damn Kurt, what video were you watching?? That’s as bad as any elbow I’ve ever seen thrown by far. He needs to miss significan time for that.

• livingsacrifice86 - Apr 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I would like MWP to show me his celebration move he was about to show off….I bet it would would have been sick before Harden got in the way. Holding your elbow higher then 90 degrees and shoving it into your opponents head isn’t malicious right?

3. mannyfresh209 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Lol MWP couldn’t even spell dude’s name correctly… I thought he had turned a new leaf. Obviously, he couldn’t care less.

10 games predicted by Bucher sounds more than reasonable, given his history. Not to mention, he blatantly lies about not knowing what was going on.

• trollaikman8 - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM

2 games and $5,000 tops….you’ll see.

4. savvybynature - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The league’s response will be interesting. Clearly it was worse than Smith running into Griffin imo, so you’d think the suspension would be more than 2 games.

Then again, Bynum elbowed dude’s twice before he received any suspension. One of those sent Gerald Wallace to the hospital with a fractured rib and collapsed lung, no suspension. The third time he did it he only got 4 games.

The league’s been so inconsistent it’s hard to guess what they’ll do, but given MWP’s history and the media coverage this is generating I foresee a minimum of 5 games, probably more like 10-12.

5. Justin - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

“Metta World Peace tweets apology to Harden for elbow”

I read and re-read both of his tweets. He does not apologize at any point. The title is misleading much like Ron Artest’s name.

• skids003 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I agree with Justin. He doesn’t apologize. Plus, the article even makes it sound like it’s OK now that he “apologized.”

• lookitsgreen - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

This is golden

6. jthammerstix - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM

He’s gonna fry

7. phx1311 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Maybe just maybe he didnt know it was James Harden but he knew it was a blue jersey he was taking an elbow to and thats all that mattered to him. He should be banned from the league he is out of chances.

8. captainwisdom8888 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Oh greatttt….a Ron Artest sighting.

On national television, with hundreds of cameras, and millions of viewers…this MINDLESS thug reminds us all of who he truly is. There’s no excuse for what he did, Harden didn’t deserve it and there’s no reason to be swinging elbows violently between plays.I n y eyes it is no different than if he had simply punched Harden in the face.

Artest will say he was pumped up…did it by accident…blahh blahhh…don’t you think he felt his elbow crack someone in the skull before he continued running down the court as if nothing happened..continuing to beat his chest in celebration? Soon after that he postures as if he was going to trade blows with Ibaka because HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD JUST DONE.

HOW CAN YOU HELP YOUR TEAM IN ANY WAY BY SWINGING VIOLENT ELBOWS AFTER THE PLAY IS OVER? YOU CANT!!!!!

9. bozosforall - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Still better than Kevin Garnett giving Channing Frye a nut shot and refusing to apologize:

10. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You don’t think that this was malicious? The force of that blow was significant enough to drop a sizable man and cause a concussion. Then he pretends to act like he didn’t notice it landed at all. It doesn’t matter if it was an elbow or a fist it was sucker shot and an intentional strike to someone who basically had their back turned to him.

• dgforreal - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Anyone who thinks it wasn’t intentional or malicious hasn’t actually seen footage of this incident.

I was pleased with Artest’s progress, it seemed that he had calmed down a bit, but now I think that was just window dressing.

It’s an insult to basketball, the players and the fans to say that this was an accident and I hope he gets punished for this.

11. cdins - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Unreal that someone would play this off as an accident. F him

12. billsmafiapeezy - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Why isn’t anyone mentioning James Hardens full intention to make his way to MWP? I am not justifying the elbow at all, but REALLY? He made it a point to get there to run into MWP, he knew he’d draw contact, maybe a T… He got the worst possible, but his actions shouldn’t go unnoticed.

13. rexismybff - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I know exactly what Ron-Ron means about the Marc Gasol elbow he took.

It’s like that time I was in the Starbucks in Hollywood, standing directly behind Shaq, and he got all excited because they gave him free whipped cream on top of his Mocha Grande, and he turned and looked right at me, and told me to back the hell off, and then elbowed the crap out of my face.

I was spitting out teeth and blood for a week.

It’s just like that – isn’t it Ron? Only worse, right? Cause you tried to crack Harden’s skull open, didn’t you?

14. cwwgk - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM

The coverup is always as bad as the original transgression. Whose handling his PR, Suh? Artest needs to learn the rule of holes: when you’re in one–stop digging.

15. lolatraidersfans - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Harden came over to give MWP a shove after the dunk. He felt it and went way overboard with his elbow swing. I don’t know if he was going for the head or just really wanted to land a hard elbow on his back or shoulder to send a message. Either way, he screwed up big and should get hit with at least 5 games.

• sasquash20 - Apr 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Harden was going for the inbound pass. The elbow was a dirty move from a total POS gutter rat.

16. deiong - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM

well watch the slow mo his first fist bump against his chest his elbow was down, second started the same way when he caught a glimpse of hardin he put more force in the hit and raised his elbow targeting his head, the guy did it on purpose. its amazing that someone can still claim it wasnt on purpose.. but then theres always people who just plain take the wrong argument side just for arguments sake.

• limonadamas - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

It was definitely a reckless, dangerous, foolhardy play… but EVERYTHING looks worse in slow motion. Looking at it in real time, it seemed to me to be a blind, impulsive, lightning-quick reflex. I don’t think it was malicious or “on purpose” in the traditional sense (i.e. I don’t think there was any “thinking” involved at all). Hopefully Harden recovers soon and Artest learns his lesson. A multigame suspension is definitely in order.

• borderline1988 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I agree.
        Kurt hit the nail on the head here.
        I don’t think MWP intentionally wanted to injure the guy, as in there was no real premeditation. It was an impulse move by a player with a history of emotional issues who simply didn’t think, he just did.
        It was actually really odd seeing MWP walk away afterwards as if nothing happened. He didn’t acknowledge it, and wasn’t even fired up from the elbow. He just kind of did it without thinking.

In a way, I feel bad for Artest – I don’t think he meant this and would probably really like to take it back (not b/c of the impending suspension, but b/c he’s worked hard to control himself).

That being said, it was a vicious elbow right to the head and it wasn’t an accident. He should be suspended for at least 8 games. And I think he knows that.

17. petthefurrywall - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM

@ bozosforall What is your obsession with Boston sports? You comment on every Boston article with something ridiculous. This article has ZERO to do with anything Boston. But, you again attack a Boston team with your comment. What you have is a psychological problem. There is no reason for a normal person to obsess with a City the way you do. Get some help. Please!

18. chiefagc5675 - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Don’t Special Ed kids have their own basketball league? If not they need one to keep a doofus like World Peace from killing someone and then having the moron who wrote this claim it wasn’t intentional- and World peace acts like someone else clobbered the guy. Put this retard out of the league.

19. sabatimus - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Hey Kurt: I didn’t read an apology. Unless you’re privy to other information we’re not, you didn’t read an apology either, because it isn’t there.

20. ihavenonickname - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

It sounds like Kurt has really softened on this and I have too. Originally Kurt said there was no doubt it was intentional, what a disgrace and now “it wasn’t malicious.’ I agree

The more I think about this and who Ron is, the more I think it was an accident. Ron just had a nice dunk, he was excited, he was thrilled and he was celebrating a good thing. In the context of the game he had no intentions of fighting anyone, or trying to land a cheap shot. The dude was celebrating by pounding his chest and I think he was just so overwhelmed with good emotion he was out of control.

Just think, if he happened bump into Kobe instead of Harden, he would have landed him with the same nasty elbow because he was just out of control.

I see it as pretty similar to when an athlete pumps his fist out of celebration… If one day that fist pump just happened to land on an opponents chin… it would look really bad but not suggest any intention of hurting a guy.

However, it seems like these type of “accidents” only happen to out of control,emotional players like Ron. So of course he deserves a punishment for a serious looking injury he handed out to Haden.

• ihavenonickname - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM

sorry for the repost

21. ihavenonickname - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

However, it seems like these type of “accidents” only happen to out of control,emotional players like Ron. So of course he deserves a punishment for a serious looking injury he handed out to Harden.

22. cosanostra71 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM

has this been reblogged onto jumbo sports blog yet? I’m dying to know…

23. jbraxton3rd - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM

How is he going to promote “world peace” when he can’t even act civil during a basketball game???

24. mogogo1 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

“As I’ve said, I don’t think this was malicious from MWP, I just think he lacks impulse control and filters that most of us gain as we mature. ”

______________________________

So, Kurt thinks the elbow was on purpose, but it somehow wasn’t malicious even though the guy was knocked out of the game and got a concussion? I don’t care what side of the fence you’re on, that makes absolutely zero sense: You either believe it was a total accident or you believe it was on purpose and by definition malicious. There’s absolutely no middle ground.

25. meroyero - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM

If he really meant it he would’ve apologized personally instead of just “announcing” it over Twitter. A sincere apology is made for the sake of apologizing, not for the publicity.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches