Apr 23, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s not exactly a traditional apology like your mother used to make your say to your Aunt when you said at age 10 you hated her cooking, but clearly the gravity of what Metta World Peace did has hit him.
Here is what he tweeted Sunday evening.
As I’ve said, I don’t think this was malicious from MWP, I just think he lacks impulse control and filters that most of us gain as we mature. (That includes NBA players and other professional athletes.) He was pumped up and he just let it fly when nearly everyone else would have been held back in that situation.
You get the sense from these tweets World Peace knows a pretty stiff punishment is coming. There is some CYA here. But World Peace has worked hard to rehab his reputation in recent years (crediting his therapist when the Lakers won the title and taking on mental health awareness campaigns) but on the court he still has those moments.
The Lakers are going to miss World Peace while he is out — in his last 10 games he has averaged 15.9 points per game on 49.6 percent shooting and is hitting 35 percent of his threes, plus playing some good defense. On a team with depth issues he is hard to replace when playing like that.
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 6
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 12
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 10
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5