Apr 23, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s not exactly a traditional apology like your mother used to make your say to your Aunt when you said at age 10 you hated her cooking, but clearly the gravity of what Metta World Peace did has hit him.
Here is what he tweeted Sunday evening.
As I’ve said, I don’t think this was malicious from MWP, I just think he lacks impulse control and filters that most of us gain as we mature. (That includes NBA players and other professional athletes.) He was pumped up and he just let it fly when nearly everyone else would have been held back in that situation.
You get the sense from these tweets World Peace knows a pretty stiff punishment is coming. There is some CYA here. But World Peace has worked hard to rehab his reputation in recent years (crediting his therapist when the Lakers won the title and taking on mental health awareness campaigns) but on the court he still has those moments.
The Lakers are going to miss World Peace while he is out — in his last 10 games he has averaged 15.9 points per game on 49.6 percent shooting and is hitting 35 percent of his threes, plus playing some good defense. On a team with depth issues he is hard to replace when playing like that.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8