Apr 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
It was not calculated. It was intentional. It was excessive. And man, was it brutal.
In the second quarter of the Thunder’s game against Oklahoma City, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace drove for a dunk and slammed it home. He began to celebrate by pounding his head. James Harden wound up behind him. And then…
So that’s going to be the end of the regular season for Ron Artest/Metta World Peace. The question now turns to two questions.
1. What is Harden’s condition? ESPN reported during its telecast that Harden passed all concussion tests and would play, but when he went to the floor, developed a headache and returned to the locker room. He will not return. If further tests reveal a concussion, that could impact Harden’s season significantly. Concussions are an injury we still are struggling to understand and the timing of symptoms is still nebulous.
2. How many games will Artest/MWP get for this? This opens up a Pandora’s Box of issues with regards to the play, Artest’s intent, and his past history. People will want to say that Artest’s history should not render as a factor here. That’s a nice thought, and impossible. It presents a disturbing event in a long history of events, regardless of his positive changes over the past four years. The suspension will almost certainly impact playoff games, it just depends on how many.
The league is likely to render a decision in the next 24 hours.
That’s a play that simply cannot be allowed. “The Punch” on Rudy Tomjanovich by Kermit Washington was an intentional punch but the devastating effects were the result of a bad combination of physics and circumstance. That’s why the league has to protect its players the way it does. And that’s why you’ll see the league respond as it will. This isn’t about the spirit of the game. This is about real-life injuries that can potentially impact lives. Thankfully Harden doesn’t seem to have suffered any long-term, permanent damage.
But this has just become the biggest story in the NBA for all the worst reasons.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Must-read quote from Bogut on how he does NOT want to be perceived.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
This post is here to make life easier for you when you want to find these at the end of the season and point out how wrong we were.
UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks
Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
It has to be a sign and trade and Minnesota doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It was more just becoming a better all-around player, trying to take the next step and become a leader on this team and will my team to win.” —Jeff Green
Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
And you wonder why Phil Jackson is worth $12 million a year to the Knicks organization.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Budenholzer got thrust into a position with the power a lot of coaches covet.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Sep 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Best. Name. Ever.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Heat point guard one-ups Andre Drummond with trick shot
Sep 19, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Will he make Cleveland’s regular-season roster?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Full recap from the launch event at Nike World Headquarters in Portland, Oregon, including technical information, details on colorways, and confirmed release dates.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Elbow injury would have kept him out of camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Kyle Lowry and Co. return for another run
Sep 19, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Former Kings draft pick joins three other players competing to make Memphis’ roster
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Raduljica, after solid rookie year, leaves NBA sooner than he’d hoped.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Alfonso Ribeiro can still do that dance.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
“Then it became a competition amongst guys and now you really got into it more and you started to really understand the clothes you put on your body.” —Dwyane Wade
Sep 19, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Saunders wants the rookie to earn it.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Pietrus sat out all of last season.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 14
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25