Apr 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
It was not calculated. It was intentional. It was excessive. And man, was it brutal.
In the second quarter of the Thunder’s game against Oklahoma City, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace drove for a dunk and slammed it home. He began to celebrate by pounding his head. James Harden wound up behind him. And then…
So that’s going to be the end of the regular season for Ron Artest/Metta World Peace. The question now turns to two questions.
1. What is Harden’s condition? ESPN reported during its telecast that Harden passed all concussion tests and would play, but when he went to the floor, developed a headache and returned to the locker room. He will not return. If further tests reveal a concussion, that could impact Harden’s season significantly. Concussions are an injury we still are struggling to understand and the timing of symptoms is still nebulous.
2. How many games will Artest/MWP get for this? This opens up a Pandora’s Box of issues with regards to the play, Artest’s intent, and his past history. People will want to say that Artest’s history should not render as a factor here. That’s a nice thought, and impossible. It presents a disturbing event in a long history of events, regardless of his positive changes over the past four years. The suspension will almost certainly impact playoff games, it just depends on how many.
The league is likely to render a decision in the next 24 hours.
That’s a play that simply cannot be allowed. “The Punch” on Rudy Tomjanovich by Kermit Washington was an intentional punch but the devastating effects were the result of a bad combination of physics and circumstance. That’s why the league has to protect its players the way it does. And that’s why you’ll see the league respond as it will. This isn’t about the spirit of the game. This is about real-life injuries that can potentially impact lives. Thankfully Harden doesn’t seem to have suffered any long-term, permanent damage.
But this has just become the biggest story in the NBA for all the worst reasons.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Before helping Seattle Seahawks reach Super Bowl, Lynch was high school teammate of Leon Powe
Feb 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Kent Bazemore moves into starting lineup with DeMarre Carroll also out
Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Jan 31, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Three misses and a frustration foul on a single possession.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Minnesota fans boo Love during pregame intros, cheer him during tribute video
Jan 31, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Jan 31, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Kanter was dismissive of both Klay Thompson and Andrew Bogut before Friday night’s win.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Cleveland plays the Timberwolves in Minnesota on Saturday.
Jan 31, 2015, 3:59 PM EST
Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 PM EST
With Ricky Rubio, Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Martin back in the rotation the Timberwolves will not be such a pushover.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Green being unexpectedly held out led some to speculate that he might be dealt.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
They’re not winning, but they still produce some highlight plays.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
The tenth in Bryant’s signature line returns to a low-top silhouette, and the first colorway is inspired by Kobe’s early morning high dive as he recovered from Achilles surgery.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Denver’s offer of J.J. Hickson and JaVale McGee isn’t enough for Brooklyn to pull the trigger — especially with Lopez coming off of a 35-point, 12-rebound performance against the Raptors.
Jan 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Those two together at this stage of their careers are a poor fit together.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:36 AM EST
Balance and defense win the day.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:01 AM EST
180 or 360?
Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 PM EST
It took Kobe Bryant being injured for Cousins to make the squad.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
If it can happen to Duncan….
Jan 30, 2015, 8:45 PM EST
Robin Lopez has a long rap sheet of mascot abuse.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 31
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10