Apr 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
It was not calculated. It was intentional. It was excessive. And man, was it brutal.
In the second quarter of the Thunder’s game against Oklahoma City, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace drove for a dunk and slammed it home. He began to celebrate by pounding his head. James Harden wound up behind him. And then…
So that’s going to be the end of the regular season for Ron Artest/Metta World Peace. The question now turns to two questions.
1. What is Harden’s condition? ESPN reported during its telecast that Harden passed all concussion tests and would play, but when he went to the floor, developed a headache and returned to the locker room. He will not return. If further tests reveal a concussion, that could impact Harden’s season significantly. Concussions are an injury we still are struggling to understand and the timing of symptoms is still nebulous.
2. How many games will Artest/MWP get for this? This opens up a Pandora’s Box of issues with regards to the play, Artest’s intent, and his past history. People will want to say that Artest’s history should not render as a factor here. That’s a nice thought, and impossible. It presents a disturbing event in a long history of events, regardless of his positive changes over the past four years. The suspension will almost certainly impact playoff games, it just depends on how many.
The league is likely to render a decision in the next 24 hours.
That’s a play that simply cannot be allowed. “The Punch” on Rudy Tomjanovich by Kermit Washington was an intentional punch but the devastating effects were the result of a bad combination of physics and circumstance. That’s why the league has to protect its players the way it does. And that’s why you’ll see the league respond as it will. This isn’t about the spirit of the game. This is about real-life injuries that can potentially impact lives. Thankfully Harden doesn’t seem to have suffered any long-term, permanent damage.
But this has just become the biggest story in the NBA for all the worst reasons.
Apr 19, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Playoff Kyrie is already the best.
Draymond Green on “scrimmage” comments vs. Pelicans: “They just felt the need to try to motivate themselves.”
Apr 19, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
He won’t say who made the comment.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s as great as you’d expect.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Cleveland is solid, but untested.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Steph being Steph.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He said after the game he felt a pop in his knee. That’s bad.
Apr 19, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
A little smack talk in advance of Bucks vs. Bulls.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:45 AM EDT
Houston outscores Dallas by 14 in 10 minutes with Howard and Harden, get outscored by four otherwise in 118-108 win
Apr 18, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Wade has the ability to hit free agency, but is choosing to stay in Miami for at least one more season.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Rose finished with 23 points.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Leaked images are horrible.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Brooks scored 10 points in his first shift.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Golden State, once up 25, escapes with 106-99 win
Apr 18, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The basketball was ugly, but this still may be a very competitive series.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Pierce backed up his talk with plenty of action.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
They’re still expected to play around 32 minutes each.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
Ujiri cusses at a playoff pep rally for the second straight year.
Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks
Apr 18, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Brewer has been a key member of the rotation for the two-seeded Rockets.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Every playoff series is predicted.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
How do you feel about a lot of hack-a-Jordan for six or seven games?
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3