Apr 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
It was not calculated. It was intentional. It was excessive. And man, was it brutal.
In the second quarter of the Thunder’s game against Oklahoma City, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace drove for a dunk and slammed it home. He began to celebrate by pounding his head. James Harden wound up behind him. And then…
So that’s going to be the end of the regular season for Ron Artest/Metta World Peace. The question now turns to two questions.
1. What is Harden’s condition? ESPN reported during its telecast that Harden passed all concussion tests and would play, but when he went to the floor, developed a headache and returned to the locker room. He will not return. If further tests reveal a concussion, that could impact Harden’s season significantly. Concussions are an injury we still are struggling to understand and the timing of symptoms is still nebulous.
2. How many games will Artest/MWP get for this? This opens up a Pandora’s Box of issues with regards to the play, Artest’s intent, and his past history. People will want to say that Artest’s history should not render as a factor here. That’s a nice thought, and impossible. It presents a disturbing event in a long history of events, regardless of his positive changes over the past four years. The suspension will almost certainly impact playoff games, it just depends on how many.
The league is likely to render a decision in the next 24 hours.
That’s a play that simply cannot be allowed. “The Punch” on Rudy Tomjanovich by Kermit Washington was an intentional punch but the devastating effects were the result of a bad combination of physics and circumstance. That’s why the league has to protect its players the way it does. And that’s why you’ll see the league respond as it will. This isn’t about the spirit of the game. This is about real-life injuries that can potentially impact lives. Thankfully Harden doesn’t seem to have suffered any long-term, permanent damage.
But this has just become the biggest story in the NBA for all the worst reasons.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Raptors point guards clicked when playing together
Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Mayweather thought it was funny.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
“Understand that it’s a cycle and things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment.” —Kobe Bryant
Oct 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Combining the NBA and 90210? Brilliant.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
It’s better to be lucky than good.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
A hit job on Kobe Bryant by a major media outlet is drawing plenty of criticism.
Sixers’ K.J. McDaniels with a two-handed rejection, has more preseason blocks than Anthony Davis (VIDEO)
Oct 21, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
McDaniels has amassed 14 blocked shots this preseason — more than guys like DeAndre Jordan and Anthony Davis.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Solid big men get overpaid consistently and have for many years. In light of that fact, this deal is just fine.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Kirk Hinrich will get the start.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
James Harden’s defense isn’t as bad as some people say… but it’s not good.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
It’s possible, but not likely, that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov will buy the rest of the building.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
The Lakers defense makes them lottery locks.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Philadelphia, Oklahoma City and Milwaukee still need five more teams to join their side
Oct 21, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Watch after the draft lottery next year when a team like the Lakers, Celtics or Knicks jumps way up the board so they can draft a young star and some smaller market owners cry it’s unfair.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
The only precedent for LeBron, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving? LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh
Oct 21, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Iman Shumpert is wearing a hat with a clock on it. That is all.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Center played just five games last season
Oct 21, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Chicago point guard still clearly has respect of teammates
Oct 21, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
New Orleans adds its missing link in Omer Asik
Oct 21, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Expect him to be out until mid- to late December.
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 0
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36