Apr 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
It was not calculated. It was intentional. It was excessive. And man, was it brutal.
In the second quarter of the Thunder’s game against Oklahoma City, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace drove for a dunk and slammed it home. He began to celebrate by pounding his head. James Harden wound up behind him. And then…
So that’s going to be the end of the regular season for Ron Artest/Metta World Peace. The question now turns to two questions.
1. What is Harden’s condition? ESPN reported during its telecast that Harden passed all concussion tests and would play, but when he went to the floor, developed a headache and returned to the locker room. He will not return. If further tests reveal a concussion, that could impact Harden’s season significantly. Concussions are an injury we still are struggling to understand and the timing of symptoms is still nebulous.
2. How many games will Artest/MWP get for this? This opens up a Pandora’s Box of issues with regards to the play, Artest’s intent, and his past history. People will want to say that Artest’s history should not render as a factor here. That’s a nice thought, and impossible. It presents a disturbing event in a long history of events, regardless of his positive changes over the past four years. The suspension will almost certainly impact playoff games, it just depends on how many.
The league is likely to render a decision in the next 24 hours.
That’s a play that simply cannot be allowed. “The Punch” on Rudy Tomjanovich by Kermit Washington was an intentional punch but the devastating effects were the result of a bad combination of physics and circumstance. That’s why the league has to protect its players the way it does. And that’s why you’ll see the league respond as it will. This isn’t about the spirit of the game. This is about real-life injuries that can potentially impact lives. Thankfully Harden doesn’t seem to have suffered any long-term, permanent damage.
But this has just become the biggest story in the NBA for all the worst reasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty spot on. And cold-blooded.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
He should be back next season, the final one of this contract with Oklahoma City.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Drake and Lou Williams are tight.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Cousey said not Shaq, not Ewing, nobody reminded him of Russell like Whiteside.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
You do not see this every day.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
As everyone braces for 2016 spike, another big bump could follow
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge
Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston
Mar 27, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Hornets’ playoff chances looking dim
Mar 27, 2015, 9:06 AM EDT
Bradley Beal questionable
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He hit 12 straight shots at one point.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Dangerous play from Scola.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Brooklyn is a half-game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Crawford has been dealing with a calf bruise.
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 22
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 21
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2