Apr 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
It was not calculated. It was intentional. It was excessive. And man, was it brutal.
In the second quarter of the Thunder’s game against Oklahoma City, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace drove for a dunk and slammed it home. He began to celebrate by pounding his head. James Harden wound up behind him. And then…
So that’s going to be the end of the regular season for Ron Artest/Metta World Peace. The question now turns to two questions.
1. What is Harden’s condition? ESPN reported during its telecast that Harden passed all concussion tests and would play, but when he went to the floor, developed a headache and returned to the locker room. He will not return. If further tests reveal a concussion, that could impact Harden’s season significantly. Concussions are an injury we still are struggling to understand and the timing of symptoms is still nebulous.
2. How many games will Artest/MWP get for this? This opens up a Pandora’s Box of issues with regards to the play, Artest’s intent, and his past history. People will want to say that Artest’s history should not render as a factor here. That’s a nice thought, and impossible. It presents a disturbing event in a long history of events, regardless of his positive changes over the past four years. The suspension will almost certainly impact playoff games, it just depends on how many.
The league is likely to render a decision in the next 24 hours.
That’s a play that simply cannot be allowed. “The Punch” on Rudy Tomjanovich by Kermit Washington was an intentional punch but the devastating effects were the result of a bad combination of physics and circumstance. That’s why the league has to protect its players the way it does. And that’s why you’ll see the league respond as it will. This isn’t about the spirit of the game. This is about real-life injuries that can potentially impact lives. Thankfully Harden doesn’t seem to have suffered any long-term, permanent damage.
But this has just become the biggest story in the NBA for all the worst reasons.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Stauskas is thrilled to have finally made it to the NBA.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Wade and Bosh show they can get the job done now that LeBron has moved on.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Report surfaced a few days ago saying the two teams were in discussion.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Highest Court in the Land
Aug 28, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
I doubt that’s what he meant
Aug 28, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
Could Trail Blazers guard replace Derrick Rose in World Cup?
Aug 28, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
See Pau Gasol, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon and Serge Ibaka dance
Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Black, who played at Kansas and Memphis, could be headed to Houston’s D-League affiliate
Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Dan Gilbert, after throwing money at Kentucky coach, settled for management that landed LeBron James and Kevin Love this offseason
Aug 28, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Judy Seto doesn’t even bother asking Kobe to rate his pain, because the question is pointless
Aug 28, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Pop being Pop.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Jazz guard will play behind Matthew Dellavedova and Ryan Broekhoff
Aug 28, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Cousins was long safe and part of the USA rotation.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
If you’re trying to age your game gracefully, Pierce is a great model.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
76ers point guard underwent shoulder surgery in spring
Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Rose will probably have to prove it while coming off the bench behind Kyrie Irving in World Cup
Aug 28, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Tony Wroten is putting on a show.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Doesn’t matter who didn’t show up, the guys that did make Team USA one of two teams with a legit shot at gold.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
For a third point guard signed for the league minimum, this is a nice pickup. Not thrilling, but nice.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Dexter Pittman, Greg Stiemsma, Daniel Orton, Bobby Brown, Toney Douglas, Ben Hansbrough and Malcolm Lee try out
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37