Apr 22, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
Things slip by you when you try and cover the entirety of this league. There’s this just so much to go on, so many stories, so many unbelievable events, personalities, and stories. Like the fact that Nets guard-forward Gerald Green is missing a significant portion of the ring finger on his right hand.
Wait, what? From the New York Daily News:
Green was in the sixth grade when a freak accident left him with half of his ring finger. Wearing his mother’s class ring, the 2007 NBA Slam Dunk champion tried to jam on a makeshift hoop attached to a doorway. The ring caught on a nail and his finger was ripped to the bone.
Amputation was the only option.
“All you saw was nothing but white bone, like a skeleton,” Green said. “They said my tendons, all my ligaments were ripped out.”
What’s the word I’m looking for? Oh, yeah. GAH!
That’s just horrifying.
Now, the crux of the Daily News’ article is how Green has really struggled through his life with the impediment and doesn’t like to talk about it. That’s totally understandable. But I’m really glad that he came forward and was willing to talk about it with the Daily News. There are other kids out there with conditions like that, people with similar impediments. Having someone being willing to talk about it helps. It just does. Good on him for taking that step.
The league seems like a brighter, more hopeful place with Green in it. He’s not a star, not a heavy-minutes player. But he’s producing and living up to his potential after being bounced from the league and having to spend time in the D-League. A player of that potential translating to production through hard work is the kind of story we need to talk about more. As opposed to, you know, Dwight Howard and whatever nonsense he’s going through this week.
In conclusion, if you need me, I’ll be wearing protective mittens and rocking in a corner crying for the rest of the day.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20