Apr 21, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Classic Kobe quote when asked if it was important to win the Pacific Division: “It’s important to win anything. Anything and everything.”
— Dave McMenamin (@mcten) April 21, 2012
And that is what makes him different from those around him. It’s not the sentiment. That can be prodded from almost any professional athlete. It’s that after a loss, a a bad loss, in which he’d just gotten back, in a shortened season, with the playoffs on the horizon, he didn’t need any prodding. He went right to that place, that rarified mental place that really only Bryant and Jordan have ever occupied in this game. He goes immediately there. Winning is everything and it’s the only thing that matters.
That’s why he’s Kobe, for better or worse.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 32
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record