Apr 21, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The drama continues in Sacramento as a late-week meeting between Kevin Johnson and the Maloof family re-opens discussions on a solution for the Kings to stay in their home.
Mayor Kevin Johnson spoke with reporters prior to the King’s game against the Thunder, and spoke of how he reached out to set up the meeting, and that it was in the best interest of both parties to open up talks again. Johnson had previously said the city was through negotiating with regards to the previous deal which the Kings backed out of because of supporting details they weren’t happy with.
Kings blog Cowbell Kingdom was in place to catch Johnson’s comments. Video is below. Can I mention how weird it is that Johnson is locked into fierce negotiation and struggle with the team he’s on the floor of? But then again, who’s going to tell Kevin Johnson he can’t step on the Kings’ floor? More than that, who’s going to tell the mayor he can’t hold court?
The big takeaway from Johnson’ comments is as follows, via Cowbell Kingdom:
“Today was wasn’t really about Plan A or Plan. Today was about ‘does it make sense for us to keep talking?’ and we both agreed it did.”
That’ll have to be enough for today.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48