Apr 21, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
The drama continues in Sacramento as a late-week meeting between Kevin Johnson and the Maloof family re-opens discussions on a solution for the Kings to stay in their home.
Mayor Kevin Johnson spoke with reporters prior to the King’s game against the Thunder, and spoke of how he reached out to set up the meeting, and that it was in the best interest of both parties to open up talks again. Johnson had previously said the city was through negotiating with regards to the previous deal which the Kings backed out of because of supporting details they weren’t happy with.
Kings blog Cowbell Kingdom was in place to catch Johnson’s comments. Video is below. Can I mention how weird it is that Johnson is locked into fierce negotiation and struggle with the team he’s on the floor of? But then again, who’s going to tell Kevin Johnson he can’t step on the Kings’ floor? More than that, who’s going to tell the mayor he can’t hold court?
The big takeaway from Johnson’ comments is as follows, via Cowbell Kingdom:
“Today was wasn’t really about Plan A or Plan. Today was about ‘does it make sense for us to keep talking?’ and we both agreed it did.”
That’ll have to be enough for today.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70