Apr 21, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
The Blazers have an… unfortunate history, when it comes to injuries. (That’s like saying the Titanic had an unfortunate problem with icebergs.) It’s not just Sam Bowie or Greg Oden. It’s Brandon Roy and even rookies and second-year men who have fallen. Have any sort of negative pattern and the word “curse” starts popping up in sports. We’re a superstitious group, like the people in “The Wicker Man” or gamblers. But surely the players don’t buy into that stuff, right? Well-reasoned, stable people that they are?
Marcus Camby, traded at the deadline to Houston, was asked about the idea of the “Blazers Curse” and his answer was surprisingly honest. From ESPN’s Marc Stein:
Q: You know those of us in the media throw around words like “curse.” But what about the players on that team? In the Blazers’ locker room, are guys asking: What next?
A: They might not want to admit it, but when I was there, my goodness, people were saying, “Are we really snake-bit? Are we really cursed?” Doubts and talks like that came about. Everybody just tried to brush it to one side and remain positive, but it was hard to escape because everybody was talking about it. It’s hard to argue when it keeps happening year after year after year.
Portland should have absolutely no problems signing free agents with that kind of press.
Maybe they should perform an exorcism. Or, you know, they could outsource their medical staff for a year.
That’s who I actually feel the worst for in this situation. There’s no indication that how the training staff treated the players had any impact on their injuries. But when you have that many, there are going to be questions. It’s like if you ran a McDonalds and it kept getting hit by a meteor, then re-opening, then wiped away in a flood, then re-opening, then getting hit by a tornado. At some point, people are going to look sideways at the manager even if he didn’t do anything.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32