LeBron, Bosh out for Heat… then Wade dislocates finger and LeBron may play

Apr 21, 2012, 8:17 PM EDT

Miami Heat's James and Wade look on during the second half of their NBA basketball game against the Chicago Bulls in Chicago Reuters

LeBron James, as well as Chris Bosh, was supposed to get a night off Saturday against the Wizards. Which is like a night off anyway. But that’s not how it worked out.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra decided to sit LeBron and Bosh as part of his “maintenance” — read: resting — plan. While there is still a chance Miami could catch the Chicago Bulls for the top spot in the East (10 percent chance according to the latest odds), Spoelstra clearly values rest and getting guys healthy more than that longshot chase. It should be noted LeBron was in sweats but was not going to play.

He didn’t need to, with Dwyane Wade in the lineup the Heat should have more than enough to beat the lowly Wizards — until Wade got hurt.

Three minutes into the first quarter Wade, while covering Jordan Crawford, got his hand hit on what looked an innocent play but he clearly and immediately was in pain.

The Heat have announced Wade dislocated the index finger on his left (non-shooting hand). He is done for the game. He may miss more but with it on his non-shooting hand he should be ready for the playoffs.

When Wade went to the locker room after the injury, so did LeBron to get taped up and ready to play if needed. As of halftime his number had not been called and it may not be, but he is ready. The Heat scored only 15 points in the first quarter and trailed 23-15 after one. Washington led 45-37 at the half (thanks to a Crawford half court shot at the buzzer).

1. larrybrown43 - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM

The NBA is such a joke. If it’s not teams tanking for lottery balls it’s players faking injury to rest for the playoffs. Shorten the ungodly long and boring season by 20 games and this nonsense will end.

The NFL will fall victim to this as well if they ever go to 18 games. More isn’t always better even for the countrie’s most popular sport.

• pudgalvin - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Yeah, cause no one rests players for the playoffs in the NFL…

• BigBeachBall - Apr 22, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Stern is currently in talks with league officials to reduce the regular season down to just one game that will be played by all 30 teams simultaneously on the same court…..

2. steelerswin6 - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

LeLoser taking a rest so when he chokes in the playoffs he will have enough energy to rip his jersey off….wait he already did that once …

3. larrybrown43 - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM

country’s not countrie’s. Yikes!!! Proofread me. Proofread.

4. supershpa - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

What motivation is there for d wade to fake an injury if he wants a night you know what he can do, not play.

5. skinsdiehard - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Kiss the Wiz’s you know what Kurt Helin. You keep referring to the Wiz like they are this awful team. They’re young….there’s a difference dumb ass.

• Kurt Helin - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

No, you can be young and awful. Washington is. There are some potentially nice pieces for the future, but this is a bad basketball team.

6. asublimeday - Apr 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Aaahhhhhahahahaha they lost to the freaking wizards!

7. pudgalvin - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Is there another team in the league that can say they beat the Heat and the Bulls on the road in one week? Break up the Wizards!

8. larrybrown43 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:24 PM

pudgavin:

Not to the extent or duration that’s done in the NBA. Tom Brady isn’t sitting out in week 12. Home field is viewed far more importantly in the NFL to sit a star player. That seldom happens before week 15. Since the NFL is far more violent it’s understood.

And the tanking that goes on every year in the NBA by multiple teams? That doesn’t happen in the NFL. Glad you didn’t try to defend that though.

• pudgalvin - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM

There’s a week left in the season though. That’s no different than what happens in the NFL.

And you’re saying NFL teams don’t tank? Catch any Colts games last year?

9. onlyincleveland0316 - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Did leBOOB’s sweat pants come down easy for ya, Curt? Take it all in this time?

• cullenand99 - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

leBOOB? Thats a new one. At least it wasnt “LeChoke” or “LeLoser” like all the other uncreative and idiotic people who bash him.

10. canehouse - Apr 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I have never seen such a tremendous amount of hate and envy for a guy by most accounts is a pretty decent person. What’s the deal? Is it because of the decision? I don’t get it… was he this hated when he was at Cleveland? I never really noticed it… but then i.tend to try and not be terribly negative… especially about athletes that are extraordinary at what they do.

• pudgalvin - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM

For me, it’s that he seems like a guy that wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to be known as the greatest to ever play, but he doesn’t want to be the one responsible if his team loses. He’s the first guy chirping when things are going well, and he’s the last guy you hear from after a loss. He wants to win titles, but he doesn’t want to have the pressure on him to perform. When he first signed on in Miami, I remember him saying how happy he was that he didn’t have to play great all the time to win; not really something I can imagine the other greats saying.

That, combined with the whispers you hear about how he lives above the rules of every other player. I read a story about a photographer (can’t remember his name, but he was pretty well known and said he had photographed just about every famous modern athlete ever). He said that he wasn’t even allowed to talk to Lebron. Lebron showed up to the shoot with about 25 people, and he had to give instructions to a guy standing next to Lebron, and then he would tell Lebron what to do. That’s the kind of stuff that makes you really dislike someone.

What really seals the deal for me is the giant “choosen one” tattoo that adorns his back. For me, that tells me all I really need to know about a guy. When you hear the stories about the work ethic of guys like Jordan and Kobe, they knew you had to work yourself stupid to be great. I get the feeling that Lebron thinks someone should just hand him a trophy because he’s the king. That’s not to say he’s not a hard worker, but he just doesn’t seem to get it to me. He always has the look on his face when things don’t go his way like he just doesn’t understand why the other team didn’t just stop playing to let him win.

Too long, I know. But that’s why I don’t like the guy. That, and he’s really, really good and doesn’t play for the team that I cheer for.

• mytthor - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:48 AM

He doesn’t want to be the one responsible if his team loses.
        – Based on what?

He doesn’t want to have the pressure on him to perform.
        – Again, based on what? He may not perform well under the pressure but that’s not the same thing.

– Even if others wouldn’t say it, it’s true and they would think it, and we shouldn’t knock a guy for being honest.

Your second paragraph is a rumor, but if true, yes, it’s super dickish. Valid point.

Third paragraph to me is similar to a lot of what I hear about LeBron, something like “I get the impression he feels [some way].” Maybe, maybe not, but it’s your impression and you don’t know the man.

He’s really, really good and doesn’t play for the team that I cheer for.
        – This is the actual primary reason everyone doesn’t like LeBron. All the other stuff you said is stuff that someone who roots for the team he played for would talk themselves into. Just like people pretended Jordan wasn’t a total dick with a gambling problem who punched his teammates in the face. We’ve managed to change that into “competitive spirit.” And how me and the rest of the sucker Laker fans talk ourselves into Kobe.

• addictedzone - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

“That, and he’s really, really good and doesn’t play for the team that I cheer for.”

That is extremely well stated. All the rest prior sounds like blah blah blah and was a waste of good keyboard life, but at the end in crunch time you turned it on.

• pudgalvin - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Just trying to explain why he’s more hated than a lot of other great players. I sure don’t have concrete evidence to back up what I said. That’s just the feeling I get watching him and why I dislike him so much more than other players. I sure don’t know him; I have no revelations to what kind of person he is. The question was posed as to why he is almost universally despised outside of Miami and that’s my answer.

• mytthor - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM

For me, I’d say that though I responded directly to some of your points, I gave you a thumbs up – certainly wasn’t disagreeing with your overall point.

• pudgalvin - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I don’t know mythor, I don’t think there’s a place on the internet for reasonable disagreements. We should probably start name calling here pretty quick.

11. lakerade - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Its always a lose-lose w them

12. larrybrown43 - Apr 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Yes, I’m saying you don’t tank in the NFL. You only here the word tank in the NBA, year after year. This went on back to Ralph Sampson and Patrick Ewing. That’s why they had to bring in the lottery.

The Colts? No. They didn’t trade Freeney, Mathis or Wayne for a guy who was on IR like the Warriors did. The NFL is far to competitive for jobs to tank. Yes, you get a Randy Moss every once in awhile but that’s few and far between. If a coach sees you loaf in the NFL the non-guaranteed contracts get you packing pretty quickly.

To prove the point that the Colts didn’t tank, they sent the head coach and GM packing. It makes no sense to tank, presumably with the owners knowledge, and have him fire you.

I don’t think Mark Jackson or Larry Riley will suffer the same fate.

13. larrybrown43 - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:45 AM

That would be “hear” not “here”. Damn smartphone and that little box to write in.

14. abchome - Apr 22, 2012 at 3:07 AM

When tanking went wrong…

15. 700levelvet - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:36 AM

more excuses

16. iowahbr - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:29 AM

All these posts and not one word about fear of meting the Celtics in the 2nd rather than the 3d round of the play-offs. Barkley has it right when he says the Heat ain’t got it this year. And the announcers on both ESPN, ABC, and NBA TV will keep talking about what a basketball God Riley is.

• limonadamas - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

^^^THIS…

Miami wants the 2 seed. Then they’ll only have to get past either the 76er/Knicks and then the Pacers to reach the ECF. They don’t want to go through the Bulls AND the Celtics to reach the Finals again. I guess Thibs isn’t concerned? He should be. Boston looks like they’re gelling at the right time.

17. gmsingh - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Did those Wizards have Harry Potter playing for them, or what?

18. asublimeday - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM

He’s really, really good and doesn’t play for the team that I cheer for.
    ————

Untrue. I’m thrilled he doesn’t play for my team. He is a colossal choke artist and I find him despicable as a person. I would hate myself for rooting for such a douche.

• iskuterista - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

yes, keep telling yourself that until you believe it.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches