Apr 20, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Now that the lockout is over, David Stern can get back to his mission of trying to make the NBA an international brand.
The league confirmed to the Associated Press that this fall there will be preseason games in Berlin, Istanbul, Barcelona, Spain, and Milan on the European continent. There also will be games in Shanghai and Beijing in China.
These will all be preseason, no regular season games are scheduled.
The teams and dates have not been announced. However, it is believed that Orlando may be visiting Istanbul as they feature Turkish star Hedo Turkoglu. It already has been reported that the Celtics will play overseas in the preseason, and it is reported Dallas will join them. You can bet Mark Cuban is thrilled. Often these tours involve one game against a team from that continent and one against another NBA team sent over there.
The details will come when the NBA’s schedule comes out this summer.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21