Apr 20, 2012, 11:48 PM EST
Lamar Odom, rather than getting ready for the playoffs with the Mavericks, has been sent away by that team. Not cut loose, Dallas still has his contract, but they told him to just go away — he didn’t want to be there and the distraction wasn’t worth it.
So Odom was back in his hometown of New York and showed up instead recently at the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival. Working the red carpet. So he was asked about his time with Dallas, and he sounded philosophical.
“It was short lived, too bad it couldn’t work out but things happen for a reason. My life has been so crazy the last couple years, as far as issues with my family, as far as going through personal tragedy. And I felt like God was saying, ‘You know what Lamar, I’m going to give you a little time. A little time to step back and soak everything in….”
Odom had his highly publicized marriage to Khloe Kardashian, but he also had a cousin murdered and other death around him. It clearly took a toll on him — if he had stayed with the Lakers he wouldn’t have been the same player.
So what about all the things that were said about him in Dallas?
“It’s too bad. It’s one thing I’m not going to do is play that game… if somebody wants to take we’ll shot let them take a shot. Be a professional, be a gentleman about it and I wish them much success.”
We’ll see what happens next season, but if Odom comes back with his head screwed on right (or as much as it ever was) he could still be a contributor for a good team.
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 5
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 7
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 8
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 41
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6