Apr 20, 2012, 11:48 PM EST
Lamar Odom, rather than getting ready for the playoffs with the Mavericks, has been sent away by that team. Not cut loose, Dallas still has his contract, but they told him to just go away — he didn’t want to be there and the distraction wasn’t worth it.
So Odom was back in his hometown of New York and showed up instead recently at the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival. Working the red carpet. So he was asked about his time with Dallas, and he sounded philosophical.
“It was short lived, too bad it couldn’t work out but things happen for a reason. My life has been so crazy the last couple years, as far as issues with my family, as far as going through personal tragedy. And I felt like God was saying, ‘You know what Lamar, I’m going to give you a little time. A little time to step back and soak everything in….”
Odom had his highly publicized marriage to Khloe Kardashian, but he also had a cousin murdered and other death around him. It clearly took a toll on him — if he had stayed with the Lakers he wouldn’t have been the same player.
So what about all the things that were said about him in Dallas?
“It’s too bad. It’s one thing I’m not going to do is play that game… if somebody wants to take we’ll shot let them take a shot. Be a professional, be a gentleman about it and I wish them much success.”
We’ll see what happens next season, but if Odom comes back with his head screwed on right (or as much as it ever was) he could still be a contributor for a good team.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)