Apr 20, 2012, 11:48 PM EST
Lamar Odom, rather than getting ready for the playoffs with the Mavericks, has been sent away by that team. Not cut loose, Dallas still has his contract, but they told him to just go away — he didn’t want to be there and the distraction wasn’t worth it.
So Odom was back in his hometown of New York and showed up instead recently at the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival. Working the red carpet. So he was asked about his time with Dallas, and he sounded philosophical.
“It was short lived, too bad it couldn’t work out but things happen for a reason. My life has been so crazy the last couple years, as far as issues with my family, as far as going through personal tragedy. And I felt like God was saying, ‘You know what Lamar, I’m going to give you a little time. A little time to step back and soak everything in….”
Odom had his highly publicized marriage to Khloe Kardashian, but he also had a cousin murdered and other death around him. It clearly took a toll on him — if he had stayed with the Lakers he wouldn’t have been the same player.
So what about all the things that were said about him in Dallas?
“It’s too bad. It’s one thing I’m not going to do is play that game… if somebody wants to take we’ll shot let them take a shot. Be a professional, be a gentleman about it and I wish them much success.”
We’ll see what happens next season, but if Odom comes back with his head screwed on right (or as much as it ever was) he could still be a contributor for a good team.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 8
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 6
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 47
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45