Apr 20, 2012, 11:48 PM EST
Lamar Odom, rather than getting ready for the playoffs with the Mavericks, has been sent away by that team. Not cut loose, Dallas still has his contract, but they told him to just go away — he didn’t want to be there and the distraction wasn’t worth it.
So Odom was back in his hometown of New York and showed up instead recently at the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival. Working the red carpet. So he was asked about his time with Dallas, and he sounded philosophical.
“It was short lived, too bad it couldn’t work out but things happen for a reason. My life has been so crazy the last couple years, as far as issues with my family, as far as going through personal tragedy. And I felt like God was saying, ‘You know what Lamar, I’m going to give you a little time. A little time to step back and soak everything in….”
Odom had his highly publicized marriage to Khloe Kardashian, but he also had a cousin murdered and other death around him. It clearly took a toll on him — if he had stayed with the Lakers he wouldn’t have been the same player.
So what about all the things that were said about him in Dallas?
“It’s too bad. It’s one thing I’m not going to do is play that game… if somebody wants to take we’ll shot let them take a shot. Be a professional, be a gentleman about it and I wish them much success.”
We’ll see what happens next season, but if Odom comes back with his head screwed on right (or as much as it ever was) he could still be a contributor for a good team.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 9
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 22
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15