Apr 20, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT
Lamar Odom, rather than getting ready for the playoffs with the Mavericks, has been sent away by that team. Not cut loose, Dallas still has his contract, but they told him to just go away — he didn’t want to be there and the distraction wasn’t worth it.
So Odom was back in his hometown of New York and showed up instead recently at the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival. Working the red carpet. So he was asked about his time with Dallas, and he sounded philosophical.
“It was short lived, too bad it couldn’t work out but things happen for a reason. My life has been so crazy the last couple years, as far as issues with my family, as far as going through personal tragedy. And I felt like God was saying, ‘You know what Lamar, I’m going to give you a little time. A little time to step back and soak everything in….”
Odom had his highly publicized marriage to Khloe Kardashian, but he also had a cousin murdered and other death around him. It clearly took a toll on him — if he had stayed with the Lakers he wouldn’t have been the same player.
So what about all the things that were said about him in Dallas?
“It’s too bad. It’s one thing I’m not going to do is play that game… if somebody wants to take we’ll shot let them take a shot. Be a professional, be a gentleman about it and I wish them much success.”
We’ll see what happens next season, but if Odom comes back with his head screwed on right (or as much as it ever was) he could still be a contributor for a good team.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 23
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2