Did improper ankle taping delay Derrick Rose’s recovery?

Apr 20, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Derrick Rose has taken a couple weeks to recover from his ankle problems. Part of that was the Bulls didn’t want or need to rush him back — they are still the top seed in the East, and what matters come the playoffs is a healthy Rose.

Rose’s recovery has been slowed by fluid around the tendons in his ankles, and that could fall back on improper ankle taping by the Bulls medical staff, reports Aggrey Sam at CSNChicago.com.

Among those issues is the fact that Rose’s most recent ailments-a sprained right ankle and sore right foot-were exacerbated by the team’s training staff’s insistence on taping his ankles, a practice Rose has consistently fought against, opting instead for ankle braces.

First reported during the nationally-televised broadcast of the Bulls’ Thursday-evening loss at Miami, Rose has suffered fluid build-up in his ankles, which the player himself acknowledged before the team’s Wednesday morning shootaround in Charlotte, but the cause is reportedly his ankles being taped too tightly.

As you would expect, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau denies that is the issue, praising the medical staff. You can expect others to come to the staff’s defense soon.

I am not going to play doctor here and say who is in the right — I don’t know. But if Rose wants to wear braces, what’s the issue?

1. doctordunkenstein - Apr 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

no, it was the cheap ass adidas he’s sporting. join nike like a real “superstar” derrick!!

• peterloew - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Will that earn him an additional $250MM?

• doctordunkenstein - Apr 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

no, but it could earn him a couple of additional games during the season…

2. rob0527 - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Kurt I agree with u. If he wants to wear braces let him wear braces. What did he wear last year while he was winning the MVP? Besides I think if Derrick didn’t want to have ankles taped, coach wouldn’t have had ankles taped.

3. gavin1978 - Apr 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I hate his sneaks , I don’t know how they are still on the market I don’t know anyone with a single pair. Hey but sneaks are least of his concerns. He could prob wear flip flops an still give people tha business lol

4. southpaw77 - Apr 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Penny Hardaway 2.0
    Brilliant career early to only be ravaged by multiple injuries, that’s how its going for D.Rose

5. alew2323 - Apr 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I have his sneaks, first edition were great, second were terrible for playing in, now j have his 2.0 edition and again, not great to play in, only show that after playing my ankles were sore. Not sure if you HAVE to wear the braces with, but it seems that way, like they were tailored for wearing with the adidas braces. Which are 30 bucks each so forget that.

6. anhdazman - Apr 21, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Is it the Shoes? Gotta be the shoes!

Go ask Spike Lee.

7. florida727 - Apr 21, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Okay, so I’m no elite athlete like ANY player in the NBA, but I did play in college. I’ve had 5 complete ligament tears, 4 bone breaks, and a torn Achilles (a total of six separate instances). Since I started wearing ankle braces instead of tape, I’ve had none of them. Tape sucks. I had a complete ligament tear and bone break one time after being taped by our trainer in college. When I took off my shoe and sock, there was a rip in the tape. That would never have happened with the lace-up ankle braces I use now. Let him wear the braces. Their more comfortable anyway, and more “consistent” than tape in terms of tight feel.

8. gmsingh - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

They better get that stuff straightened out with Derrick because they are running out of time.

9. cowboychris5xchamps - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:17 AM

Damn, they still make Adidas?! I don’t even know if I spelled it correctly. I can spell NIKE though….

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches