Apr 19, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
Miami fans arrive late, are there to be seen, and are on their iPhones the entire game planning where to go after — the basketball is an afterthought. If it’s a thought at all.
Well, that’s the stereotype. It’s not true all the way around the block — check out the fans in the “cheap” 400-level seats, up above the luxury boxes, and tell me those fans aren’t there for the game. Those fans are there to scream. But stereotypes exist for a reason and the Miami Heat are about to cater to them.
A Hyde Nightclub is opening in AmericanAirlines Arena on Heat game nights next season, reports Bloomberg on Businessweek.com. If you just had to ask what Hyde nightclub is, you can assume you will never get past the velvet rope.
Sam Nazarian, the Los Angeles restaurant and hotel owner, plans to open a Hyde nightclub at the Miami Heat’s AmericanAirlines Arena as sports venues expand their entertainment offerings….
The club will feature multiple bars, lounge areas, flat-screen televisions and a private dining room.
This isn’t the first Hyde club in an arena — the Lakers already have one at Staples Center. Yes, you should have guessed that.
The natural instinct here is to rip the Heat and their fans, but really this is just smart business. There are a lot of very rich people in Miami who want to pay a lot to come to Heat games and the team would be stupid not to offer amenities and take that money. The real fans, the people wondering why the Heat don’t run more LeBron James/Dwyane Wade pick-and-rolls in the fourth quarter, will still come or watch on television. They aren’t going anywhere. So if you can soak some guy for a bottle of Crystal in a club and put that in your bottom line, go for it.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games