Apr 19, 2012, 12:43 PM EST
Miami fans arrive late, are there to be seen, and are on their iPhones the entire game planning where to go after — the basketball is an afterthought. If it’s a thought at all.
Well, that’s the stereotype. It’s not true all the way around the block — check out the fans in the “cheap” 400-level seats, up above the luxury boxes, and tell me those fans aren’t there for the game. Those fans are there to scream. But stereotypes exist for a reason and the Miami Heat are about to cater to them.
A Hyde Nightclub is opening in AmericanAirlines Arena on Heat game nights next season, reports Bloomberg on Businessweek.com. If you just had to ask what Hyde nightclub is, you can assume you will never get past the velvet rope.
Sam Nazarian, the Los Angeles restaurant and hotel owner, plans to open a Hyde nightclub at the Miami Heat’s AmericanAirlines Arena as sports venues expand their entertainment offerings….
The club will feature multiple bars, lounge areas, flat-screen televisions and a private dining room.
This isn’t the first Hyde club in an arena — the Lakers already have one at Staples Center. Yes, you should have guessed that.
The natural instinct here is to rip the Heat and their fans, but really this is just smart business. There are a lot of very rich people in Miami who want to pay a lot to come to Heat games and the team would be stupid not to offer amenities and take that money. The real fans, the people wondering why the Heat don’t run more LeBron James/Dwyane Wade pick-and-rolls in the fourth quarter, will still come or watch on television. They aren’t going anywhere. So if you can soak some guy for a bottle of Crystal in a club and put that in your bottom line, go for it.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13