Apr 19, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
In analyzing why the Phoenix Suns have exceeded expectations by staying in the playoff race through the season’s final week, the training room is a good place to start. There’s likely to be plenty of room, because the Suns are enjoying one of the healthiest seasons in NBA history. Combined, the entire Phoenix roster has missed just 18 games to injury all year. That’s fewer than 55 different players in the league have missed all by themselves.
During a compact schedule that has tested depth around the league, Alvin Gentry has had the luxury of relying on a full complement of players nearly every night. The impact of the Suns’ terrific health has been crucial to the playoff race. Consider that Phoenix has lost just 521 player minutes (calculated by multiplying minutes per game when healthy by games missed) compared to the league average of 2,245. That’s an average of 28.7 minutes per game the Suns haven’t had to call on deep reserves rather than rotation players.
Suns players have only missed 18 total games this season: Grant Hill has missed 12 games, Steve Nash has missed 4, and Markieff Morris and Jared Dudley have missed a game apiece. That’s fairly incredible in today’s NBA, and as Pelton notes, it probably has a lot to do with the Suns’ well-regarded training staff, who use cutting-edge practices to keep their players on the court.
It’s clear by now that the Suns aren’t just getting lucky with player health — their training staff seems to be a step ahead of most other staffs in the league, and teams having health troubles should look at Phoenix as an example of how they can do better. Click through to the full article to see some very informative graphs, courtesy of Piston Powered’s Dan Feldman, that illustrate how healthy or unhealthy each team in the league has been this season.
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 23
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4