Knicks fans love J.R. Smith, but he likely bolts this summer

Apr 19, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith attempts to dunk the ball in their NBA basketball game against the Portland Trail Blazers in New York Reuters

When he is raining down threes like he did against Boston, it’s easy to love J.R. Smith’s game. So today, Knicks fans love him. He brings an edge off the bench that fans and teammates love. Thing is, Smith is going to keep taking those shots whether they are falling or not, and some days his shot selection can make you squirm.

But if Knicks fans were planning on seeing him around next year, they are likely in for a shock.

Smith signed for the mini-midlevel exception of $2.5 million upon his return from China (where he played during the lockout), with a player option for next year. He didn’t have a lot of choices. Smith wants a longer-term deal however and will test the market this summer, reports Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld.

This offseason, Smith will have many more options. He’s expected to opt-out of the final year of his contract and hopes to sign a multi-year deal this summer, according to sources close to the situation. The Minnesota Timberwolves, Los Angeles Clippers and Orlando Magic are among the teams expected to express interest in Smith if he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

New York is a draw. Winning is a draw. But nothing is a draw like money and other teams may have more to offer Smith this summer.

1. 40easter - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

“Knicks fans love J.R. Smith,….”

Not so much.

Signed,
    Knicks fan

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Speak for yourself.

• ctsharpwins - Apr 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

JR reminds me alot like John Starks, erratic, emotional and streaky.

Alot of times I find myself cursing him out for shot selection but I couldnt imagine us without him at this point. Hes helped us win a bunch of games and without him we would be back to the old “The Knicks have gone 5 minutes without a basket” deal.

2. acdc363 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

If I were a knick fan I certainly wouldn’t love JR either. He’s a good scorer but like they say he can shoot you into a game and just as easily shoot you right out of one. Also just because he’s opting out doesn’t mean he wants to leave new york. For all we know he could be expecting to sign a deal with them.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Personally, I knew this going in and I’m fine with it. He’s only really shot us out of one game. And even when he’s off, he makes up for it defensively.

However, no one knows where he will play next year, because there are going to be a FEW guys on the roster who won’t be here next year.

3. pbanach01 - Apr 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Love the offense off the bench from J.R. without a doubt. Shot selection is obviously questionable but he needs a true point guard to set him up so he doesn’t have the ball in his hands too often (Sounds funny but we all know what he’s going to do if he dribbles too much). That being said he is a big time shooter and has been a major catalyst and the second leading scorer for the Knicks since Lin and STAT went down. Would like to see him back even though his lack of focus makes me scream sometimes. If the Knicks want to be a serious contender they need a 6th man who can provide instant offense off the bench. Right now J.R. is perfect in that role but we will see how it plays out. I just hope Dolan doesn’t completely F up what the Knicks have going this offseason.

• sellahh - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

What do exactly Knicks have going for them in the offseason with 2 max contracts to one-dimensional stars. And one of those superstars is quite injury prone. Come again?

4. mytthor - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’m curious to see what a coach like Pop or the Zen Master could do to harness this guy’s amazing talent.

5. dysraw1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

since the season started i wanted the knicks to sure up 2g spot, for my money JR.Smith has done exactly that. however my fantasy would to sign and trade JR. for slick Nick Young

• pbanach01 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM

young is better then jr? idk about that man

• dysraw1 - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM

dude don’t get me wrong i like JR. the man is just not responsible for his action’s on and off the court

• dysraw1 - Apr 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

young is better hes gone be the real deal

6. nygsbchamps4 - Apr 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM

As a Knick fan I was opposed to J.R. Joining the team at first, but now I have to give him credit, he does so much more than shoot the ball. Smith is playing great defense which I love, with that said, I’m going to miss him on the Knicks if he leaves.

7. 24thesho - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Just keep his crazy ass family away from the home games.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches