Apr 19, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
Across the board, players say they like playing for coaches who once played in the NBA. It’s not a requirement, but players feel it gives the coach an understanding of what they go through.
So it shouldn’t be a shock that Doc Rivers tops Sports Illustrated’s annual poll of players on the question of coach they most want to play for. Here is the top five:
Doc Rivers, (22 percent), Mike D’Antonio (21), Gregg Popovich (16), Rick Carlisle (6), Rick Adelman (5).
A bunch of Knicks fans just rolled their eyes at D’Antoni being on the list, but he has always been popular with players not named Carmelo. First, he’s a laid-back coach who expects professional players to push themselves and hold each other accountable — you know, be professionals. That just didn’t work for the Knicks. D’Antoni’s up-tempo, free flowing offensive system is a draw to most players.
As for the coach players least want to play for…
Stan Van Gundy “wins” at 22 percent. Scott Skiles is second at 16 percent.
Notice the theme there — guys perceived as being very negative. Well, not perceived, they both tend to be negative. In SVG’s case he also gets wins so he will keep getting jobs even when the Magic force him out this summer, but players don’t love him. And he’s probably fine with that.
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 28
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 14
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay