Carmelo Anthony has a giant painting of himself hanging over his fireplace, because of course he does

Apr 19, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT

Carmelo Fireplace Painting

From the always-hilarious Dan Devine of Yahoo! Sports’ Ball Don’t Lie Blog:

Carmelo Anthony‘s wife, La La Anthony (née Vazquez), recently spoke with the New York Post about her reality TV show, her role in the upcoming film “Think Like a Man,” and the couple’s place in the Hell’s Kitchen section of Manhattan. The only piece of critical information in the Post’s story is that, as you can see above, the Anthonys have a huge painting of Carmelo Anthony’s head hanging above their fireplace.

From the Post:

How much input has Carmelo had in the design of your home or did you manage the project yourself?

Believe it or not, he has more input and gets more involved than I do. He was really into working with the decorator, Alicia Darby, who also decorated our home in LA.

Have you recently purchased any artwork? What is your favorite piece?

This past Christmas, we purchased a huge, modern picture of my husband from the artist Paul Gerben, whose studio is located in SoHo. It was great to be directly in touch with the artist himself, which enabled us to create this fantastic, very large and abstract piece that we love.

We could try and look at this painting as some sort of window into Anthony’s true character, or we could just come to the agreement that putting a giant purple painting of yourself in a tuxedo and sunglasses above your fireplace is hilarious. I prefer the latter, if only because I like imagining how awkward it must be for the Anthony family’s houseguests when they have to compliment the giant purple painting of Carmelo staring at them behind sunglasses.

1. toegoat - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Actually I think that is a picture of Carmelo’s Ego.

2. alldonesmith - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

LeBron’s biggest problem is that he has a hard time relating to other people and doesn’t understand how public relations work. Carmelo Anthony is just an overrated douchebag who is clearly in love with himself, both on the court and off. In a perfect world, the personality-driven hate would be directed squarely at guys like Carmelo who actually deserve it, instead of guys like LeBron who have two figurative left feet and make themselves look terrible without realizing or intending it.

• ctsharpwins - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

So what classifies him as overrated? Is it his stats? because surely thats not the issue. Is it that he hasnt won a championship? Because alot of players havent. So what is it? other then being a hater?

• alldonesmith - Apr 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Is this a joke? Carmelo can score 30 points, but he’ll need 25-35 shots to do it. It doesn’t matter how many total points you can score if your shooting percentage is terrible, which Carmelo’s usually is; you’re hurting your team by wasting possessions jacking up shots you shouldn’t be taking when other dudes are open. Not only that, but Carmelo is a ballhog that can’t fit into an offense unless the ball goes through him on every possession. Am I the only one that noticed how he played like ass until Jeremy Lin and Amar’e both got hurt and there was no longer anyone else on the floor who was an alternative option?

Carmelo is about Carmelo and no one else, and always has been. Worst, he doesn’t even TRY to play defense 95% of the time. How are you fat at the small forward position??? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Carmelo Anthony is like a fat AI, but not nearly as good. He would make every team but the worst teams in the NBA worse by refusing to play team basketball. It’s no coincidence the Knicks were so hot when he was hurt, and the Nuggets got so much better when he left. George Karl even said as much.

3. burnsy - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM

“He was really into working with the decorator, Alicia Darby, who also decorated our home in LA.”

I bet he gave her great input.

• gmen4life33 - Apr 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I bet he input the sh.it out of her

• hojo20 - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I thought that was Ray Charles when I saw it on the NY Post website this morning.

4. charlutes - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

slow baseball day, should’ve known it would depress me to venture into basketball news. what clown.

5. lakerluver - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Not much humility, huh? It would’ve been better if they had put a giant pic of LaLa on the wall, baby girl is FINE!!!

6. mikeewright7 - Apr 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

damn he beat me to it first lol i was gone get one of myself

7. canehouse - Apr 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Ridiculous!!!

8. dysraw1 - Apr 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

damm boy you know its no such thing a celebrate living a private life anymore I hate reality shows

9. koloofai - Apr 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Reminds me of the movie ‘whitechicks’

10. dmravens - Apr 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM

The painting actually resides in Mike D’Antoni’s house

11. 1972wasalongtimeago - Apr 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I thought it was a painting of Morris Day

12. boilerup1869 - Apr 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

What’s great about the painting is that, even in a wholly self-interested, egomaniacal act like putting a ridiculous-looking painting of himself above his fireplace, Carmelo looks fat in the picture.

Great way to teach humility to their son.

13. stayhigh_247 - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:19 PM

what about the kids? or a family portrait? thats just weird and I like Melo, but wtf?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches