Apr 19, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
The 25-year-old Williams is a great athlete and talented shot blocker, but his personal issues have kept him from living up to his considerable potential so far. Williams was dismissed from the Boston College basketball team his junior year after being suspended multiple times, and was arrested in 2009 after being drafted by the Nets with the 17th overall pick in the 2007 draft.
Williams played in 126 games in three seasons with the Nets, and has also spent time in the D-League, Isreal, China and Puerto Rico. He started this season with the Dallas Mavericks, but was waived on March 22nd after playing in eight games and averaging 3.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 0.6 blocks in 8.1 minutes per game.
The Celtics are taking a flyer on Williams, and it’s unlikely he’ll see major playoff minutes, but there’s always the chance he’ll start to live up to his potential with a player like Kevin Garnett and a coach like Doc Rivers to mentor him and keep him in line.
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 0
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 21
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56