Apr 19, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
The 25-year-old Williams is a great athlete and talented shot blocker, but his personal issues have kept him from living up to his considerable potential so far. Williams was dismissed from the Boston College basketball team his junior year after being suspended multiple times, and was arrested in 2009 after being drafted by the Nets with the 17th overall pick in the 2007 draft.
Williams played in 126 games in three seasons with the Nets, and has also spent time in the D-League, Isreal, China and Puerto Rico. He started this season with the Dallas Mavericks, but was waived on March 22nd after playing in eight games and averaging 3.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 0.6 blocks in 8.1 minutes per game.
The Celtics are taking a flyer on Williams, and it’s unlikely he’ll see major playoff minutes, but there’s always the chance he’ll start to live up to his potential with a player like Kevin Garnett and a coach like Doc Rivers to mentor him and keep him in line.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47