Apr 19, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
The 25-year-old Williams is a great athlete and talented shot blocker, but his personal issues have kept him from living up to his considerable potential so far. Williams was dismissed from the Boston College basketball team his junior year after being suspended multiple times, and was arrested in 2009 after being drafted by the Nets with the 17th overall pick in the 2007 draft.
Williams played in 126 games in three seasons with the Nets, and has also spent time in the D-League, Isreal, China and Puerto Rico. He started this season with the Dallas Mavericks, but was waived on March 22nd after playing in eight games and averaging 3.6 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 0.6 blocks in 8.1 minutes per game.
The Celtics are taking a flyer on Williams, and it’s unlikely he’ll see major playoff minutes, but there’s always the chance he’ll start to live up to his potential with a player like Kevin Garnett and a coach like Doc Rivers to mentor him and keep him in line.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'