Apr 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
First, this report is believable because it’s hard to see how Dwight Howard could bounce back from a herniated disc in his back quickly enough to be a force in the playoffs.
Second, it comes from WKMG’s Dave Pingalore, the guy that said Dwight Howard wanted Stan Van Gundy out the day before Van Gundy confirmed it and the entire situation blew up. (Via Ball Don’t Lie.)
Pingalore says that Howard will not be back, and he still doesn’t like Van Gundy.
Local 6 Sports Director David Pingalore has learned through NBA and Orlando Magic sources that Dwight Howard does not want to play for head coach Stan Van Gundy any longer. According to his sources, Howard is still upset with Van Gundy confirming Pingalore’s report from earlier this month that Howard went to Magic management asking for Van Gundy to be fired…
Howard would also likely sit out the postseason, according to the source.
First off, this story is just oddly written — somebody clearly wrote it for Pingalore, but next time just have him write it nor ghost write it for him. If he hadn’t already broken a story, we would have discarded.
But like I said, it’s believable — nobody thinks Van Gundy lasts the summer because Orlando is desperate to keep Howard (and teams that bend over backwards like this for their stars always get… oh, wait). Secondly, it just seems very unlikely that Howard can come back in any condition that is really going to help the Magic. But the back injury and Van Gundy are not necessarily related issues for Hoard.
Right now, every team in the East is trying to figure out if there is a way they can play the Magic in the first round.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14