Apr 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
First, this report is believable because it’s hard to see how Dwight Howard could bounce back from a herniated disc in his back quickly enough to be a force in the playoffs.
Second, it comes from WKMG’s Dave Pingalore, the guy that said Dwight Howard wanted Stan Van Gundy out the day before Van Gundy confirmed it and the entire situation blew up. (Via Ball Don’t Lie.)
Pingalore says that Howard will not be back, and he still doesn’t like Van Gundy.
Local 6 Sports Director David Pingalore has learned through NBA and Orlando Magic sources that Dwight Howard does not want to play for head coach Stan Van Gundy any longer. According to his sources, Howard is still upset with Van Gundy confirming Pingalore’s report from earlier this month that Howard went to Magic management asking for Van Gundy to be fired…
Howard would also likely sit out the postseason, according to the source.
First off, this story is just oddly written — somebody clearly wrote it for Pingalore, but next time just have him write it nor ghost write it for him. If he hadn’t already broken a story, we would have discarded.
But like I said, it’s believable — nobody thinks Van Gundy lasts the summer because Orlando is desperate to keep Howard (and teams that bend over backwards like this for their stars always get… oh, wait). Secondly, it just seems very unlikely that Howard can come back in any condition that is really going to help the Magic. But the back injury and Van Gundy are not necessarily related issues for Hoard.
Right now, every team in the East is trying to figure out if there is a way they can play the Magic in the first round.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 0
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)