Apr 18, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
First, this report is believable because it’s hard to see how Dwight Howard could bounce back from a herniated disc in his back quickly enough to be a force in the playoffs.
Second, it comes from WKMG’s Dave Pingalore, the guy that said Dwight Howard wanted Stan Van Gundy out the day before Van Gundy confirmed it and the entire situation blew up. (Via Ball Don’t Lie.)
Pingalore says that Howard will not be back, and he still doesn’t like Van Gundy.
Local 6 Sports Director David Pingalore has learned through NBA and Orlando Magic sources that Dwight Howard does not want to play for head coach Stan Van Gundy any longer. According to his sources, Howard is still upset with Van Gundy confirming Pingalore’s report from earlier this month that Howard went to Magic management asking for Van Gundy to be fired…
Howard would also likely sit out the postseason, according to the source.
First off, this story is just oddly written — somebody clearly wrote it for Pingalore, but next time just have him write it nor ghost write it for him. If he hadn’t already broken a story, we would have discarded.
But like I said, it’s believable — nobody thinks Van Gundy lasts the summer because Orlando is desperate to keep Howard (and teams that bend over backwards like this for their stars always get… oh, wait). Secondly, it just seems very unlikely that Howard can come back in any condition that is really going to help the Magic. But the back injury and Van Gundy are not necessarily related issues for Hoard.
Right now, every team in the East is trying to figure out if there is a way they can play the Magic in the first round.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18