Apr 18, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has more than respect for the Argentinian. Popovich was talking with Marc Spears of Yahoo about Ginobili (via IamaGM.com) and how he is the key to their playoff run this year. The Spurs are a threat to Oklahoma City, they are a threat to everyone — but Ginobili has to be on top of his game.
Popovich compared Ginobili’s competitiveness to players as driven as the game has ever seen.
“He has the same love of winning and maniacal approach to competitiveness,” Popovich said. “It’s the same as Michael and Kobe have.
“He doesn’t have the same athletic ability. But he has the same spirit and competitiveness that they do. He has a high basketball IQ like they do in the sense that it could be an offensive board, a 3-point shot, a drive, a steal, an assist to win a basketball game. He knows what it takes. If you combine that IQ and that competitiveness, he’s a special person.”
That he is. Combined with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker they can play some special basketball, and this year with them healthy and a quality supporting cast around them — Kawhi Leonard, DeJuan Blair, Danny Green, Tiago Splitter, Stephen Jackson, Matt Bonner — they can make some noise.
But it all hinges on Ginobili. That’s a bad boy right there.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18