Apr 18, 2012, 2:28 AM EDT
Luol Deng is playing through a torn ligament in his left wrist — surgery now would mean missing the Bulls playoff run and he wants to be part of (and is essential to) what could be a special run.
But he also has plans to play for Great Britain this summer as they host the 2012 London Olympics. He grew up in England and is the best player in that nation. It’s another great honor he doesn’t want to miss.
But now we are into August or later and surgery on the wrist would take a couple months to fully heal. Which makes things sticky for Bulls management, as Mark Schanowski discusses at CSNChicago.com.
There’s also the question of whether surgery will be absolutely necessary. Some ligaments will heal on their own over time, and doctors really aren’t sure how Luol’s wrist will look after going through the NBA playoffs and the Olympics. But if Deng does need surgery sometime in September, he could easily miss the first two months of the next NBA season, something that has to be troubling to Bulls’ management.
Playing through the wrist injury Deng has looked himself some games, other he seems to only want to use his right hand. He’s not the same player every night.
The Bulls are going into these playoffs with that Deng and Derrick Rose trying to get healthy. How far they go may depend on how good those two feel.
But the thought of starting next season already on the injury roller coaster has to make Bulls fans roll their eyes.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'