Apr 18, 2012, 2:28 AM EDT
Luol Deng is playing through a torn ligament in his left wrist — surgery now would mean missing the Bulls playoff run and he wants to be part of (and is essential to) what could be a special run.
But he also has plans to play for Great Britain this summer as they host the 2012 London Olympics. He grew up in England and is the best player in that nation. It’s another great honor he doesn’t want to miss.
But now we are into August or later and surgery on the wrist would take a couple months to fully heal. Which makes things sticky for Bulls management, as Mark Schanowski discusses at CSNChicago.com.
There’s also the question of whether surgery will be absolutely necessary. Some ligaments will heal on their own over time, and doctors really aren’t sure how Luol’s wrist will look after going through the NBA playoffs and the Olympics. But if Deng does need surgery sometime in September, he could easily miss the first two months of the next NBA season, something that has to be troubling to Bulls’ management.
Playing through the wrist injury Deng has looked himself some games, other he seems to only want to use his right hand. He’s not the same player every night.
The Bulls are going into these playoffs with that Deng and Derrick Rose trying to get healthy. How far they go may depend on how good those two feel.
But the thought of starting next season already on the injury roller coaster has to make Bulls fans roll their eyes.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18