Apr 18, 2012, 6:07 PM EDT
Paul Silas — at age 68 — may be the toughest guy in the Bobcats locker room. He’s almost certainly the toughest minded. Which explains why the team has just 7 wins this season.
Silas, 68, had been incensed with Thomas chatting with some Boston Celtics players on the court, and lashed out at him in the losing locker room afterward. Eventually, Thomas snapped back at Silas, and the coach warned him to say no more or risk a suspension.
Once Thomas stood up, Silas pushed him toward his locker stall, sources said.
Other players stepped in to keep them apart. Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins confirmed there was an incident but none of the details. Woj reports all parties were fined, which is to be expected. Tyrus Thomas told the media Wednesday that everything was good now.
Really, the only surprise here is there haven’t been incidents earlier — the Bobcats are losing games at a historic rate and that kind of losing should breed tension. At least it would among players and management that care about winning.
Charlotte needs one more win to avoid finishing the season with the worst winning percentage in NBA history. Right now they are 7-53 and their remaining games are against Chicago, Memphis, Sacramento, Washington, Orlando and New York.
Lose all of them and they finish with a winning percentage of .106. The worst NBA record of all time is the ‘72-73 Philadelphia 76ers, who finished 9-73 — a winning percentage of .110.
Silas — a famed Celtics player — is frustrated. More guys should be really frustrated. And embarrassed. And seeing that bubble over a little is not a bad thing… not that we condone coaches pushing players.
If the Bobcats finish with six losses, owner Michael Jordan will not be associated with the best and worst records in NBA history.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38