Apr 18, 2012, 6:07 PM EST
Paul Silas — at age 68 — may be the toughest guy in the Bobcats locker room. He’s almost certainly the toughest minded. Which explains why the team has just 7 wins this season.
Silas, 68, had been incensed with Thomas chatting with some Boston Celtics players on the court, and lashed out at him in the losing locker room afterward. Eventually, Thomas snapped back at Silas, and the coach warned him to say no more or risk a suspension.
Once Thomas stood up, Silas pushed him toward his locker stall, sources said.
Other players stepped in to keep them apart. Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins confirmed there was an incident but none of the details. Woj reports all parties were fined, which is to be expected. Tyrus Thomas told the media Wednesday that everything was good now.
Really, the only surprise here is there haven’t been incidents earlier — the Bobcats are losing games at a historic rate and that kind of losing should breed tension. At least it would among players and management that care about winning.
Charlotte needs one more win to avoid finishing the season with the worst winning percentage in NBA history. Right now they are 7-53 and their remaining games are against Chicago, Memphis, Sacramento, Washington, Orlando and New York.
Lose all of them and they finish with a winning percentage of .106. The worst NBA record of all time is the ‘72-73 Philadelphia 76ers, who finished 9-73 — a winning percentage of .110.
Silas — a famed Celtics player — is frustrated. More guys should be really frustrated. And embarrassed. And seeing that bubble over a little is not a bad thing… not that we condone coaches pushing players.
If the Bobcats finish with six losses, owner Michael Jordan will not be associated with the best and worst records in NBA history.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 5
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 33
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 51
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28