Apr 17, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
Got to love New York fans — at first they crow about how much better the team is playing with Amare Stoudemire out and the offense flowing through Carmelo Anthony, then they complain that ‘Melo needs a second scorer to go with him.
Well, love the idea or hate it, looks like the Knicks are going to get Stoudemire back on Friday, reports the New York Post.
And though he has eyed the Knicks’ last-ever visit to New Jersey (Wednesday) as his big return from a bulging disk, the Knicks believe having him back in Cleveland on Friday is more realistic. Stoudemire has had two contact scrimmages, but yesterday’s practice was canceled because the club was beaten up further with Tyson Chandler’s knee injury. That hasn’t helped Stoudemire get into game shape.
Stoudemire will not be in the lineup when the Knicks face the Celtics Tuesday. That will be the 12th game he has missed due to a back injury.
If the Knicks are going to make any splash in the playoffs — whether it is against the Heat, Pacers or Bulls — they are going to need Stoudemire and the threat he provides as a second scoring option. This is ‘Melo’s team now, and Mike Woodson has them playing better defense, but they are going to need Stoudemire. And other guys to step up as well. So he needs to get some games under his belt.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'