Apr 17, 2012, 10:28 AM EST
Got to love New York fans — at first they crow about how much better the team is playing with Amare Stoudemire out and the offense flowing through Carmelo Anthony, then they complain that ‘Melo needs a second scorer to go with him.
Well, love the idea or hate it, looks like the Knicks are going to get Stoudemire back on Friday, reports the New York Post.
And though he has eyed the Knicks’ last-ever visit to New Jersey (Wednesday) as his big return from a bulging disk, the Knicks believe having him back in Cleveland on Friday is more realistic. Stoudemire has had two contact scrimmages, but yesterday’s practice was canceled because the club was beaten up further with Tyson Chandler’s knee injury. That hasn’t helped Stoudemire get into game shape.
Stoudemire will not be in the lineup when the Knicks face the Celtics Tuesday. That will be the 12th game he has missed due to a back injury.
If the Knicks are going to make any splash in the playoffs — whether it is against the Heat, Pacers or Bulls — they are going to need Stoudemire and the threat he provides as a second scoring option. This is ‘Melo’s team now, and Mike Woodson has them playing better defense, but they are going to need Stoudemire. And other guys to step up as well. So he needs to get some games under his belt.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36