Apr 17, 2012, 8:54 PM EST
UPDATE 8:55 pm: Or not.
Despite earlier reports he would return Tuesday, Ray Allen sat out another game for the Celtics as they took on the Knicks. The report is his ankle is still swollen. Blame his calf muscles.
11:54 am: Ray Allen is back Tuesday — just in time to provide some punch off the bench in a key playoff seeding game when his Celtics take on the Knicks Tuesday night.
Allen had missed the last four Celtics games due to ankle injuries. He will come off the bench Tuesday — Avery Bradley is still the starter — but there will be no limit on his minutes. That according to a tweet from Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
What was causing Allen’s ankle issues? His oversized calf muscles. Seriously.
That is what he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
“I’ve been told that I have huge calf muscles my whole life,” Allen, 36, said earlier this month. “But they’re always like the bane of my pain, of my existence, because I always feel tightness in there. When they do get tight, it keeps my ankles from moving.”
During his time off, Allen has worked on stretching out his calf muscles to help his ankles.
“One thing we’ve been working on is getting them loose so they don’t keep my ankles from moving and being able to develop those muscles down there,” Allen said. “When I’m running around and my muscles aren’t working, I have more of a tendency to roll it.”
Some guys we might mock about this, but there are few guys in the NBA who prepare with more detail and are more aware of their bodies than Ray Allen. If he says it is his calf muscles, it’s his calf muscles.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 1
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44