Apr 17, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT
UPDATE 8:55 pm: Or not.
Despite earlier reports he would return Tuesday, Ray Allen sat out another game for the Celtics as they took on the Knicks. The report is his ankle is still swollen. Blame his calf muscles.
11:54 am: Ray Allen is back Tuesday — just in time to provide some punch off the bench in a key playoff seeding game when his Celtics take on the Knicks Tuesday night.
Allen had missed the last four Celtics games due to ankle injuries. He will come off the bench Tuesday — Avery Bradley is still the starter — but there will be no limit on his minutes. That according to a tweet from Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
What was causing Allen’s ankle issues? His oversized calf muscles. Seriously.
That is what he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
”I’ve been told that I have huge calf muscles my whole life,” Allen, 36, said earlier this month. “But they’re always like the bane of my pain, of my existence, because I always feel tightness in there. When they do get tight, it keeps my ankles from moving.”
During his time off, Allen has worked on stretching out his calf muscles to help his ankles.
“One thing we’ve been working on is getting them loose so they don’t keep my ankles from moving and being able to develop those muscles down there,” Allen said. “When I’m running around and my muscles aren’t working, I have more of a tendency to roll it.”
Some guys we might mock about this, but there are few guys in the NBA who prepare with more detail and are more aware of their bodies than Ray Allen. If he says it is his calf muscles, it’s his calf muscles.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?