Apr 17, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT
UPDATE 8:55 pm: Or not.
Despite earlier reports he would return Tuesday, Ray Allen sat out another game for the Celtics as they took on the Knicks. The report is his ankle is still swollen. Blame his calf muscles.
11:54 am: Ray Allen is back Tuesday — just in time to provide some punch off the bench in a key playoff seeding game when his Celtics take on the Knicks Tuesday night.
Allen had missed the last four Celtics games due to ankle injuries. He will come off the bench Tuesday — Avery Bradley is still the starter — but there will be no limit on his minutes. That according to a tweet from Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
What was causing Allen’s ankle issues? His oversized calf muscles. Seriously.
That is what he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
“I’ve been told that I have huge calf muscles my whole life,” Allen, 36, said earlier this month. “But they’re always like the bane of my pain, of my existence, because I always feel tightness in there. When they do get tight, it keeps my ankles from moving.”
During his time off, Allen has worked on stretching out his calf muscles to help his ankles.
“One thing we’ve been working on is getting them loose so they don’t keep my ankles from moving and being able to develop those muscles down there,” Allen said. “When I’m running around and my muscles aren’t working, I have more of a tendency to roll it.”
Some guys we might mock about this, but there are few guys in the NBA who prepare with more detail and are more aware of their bodies than Ray Allen. If he says it is his calf muscles, it’s his calf muscles.
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 0
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 42
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60