Apr 17, 2012, 8:54 PM EDT
UPDATE 8:55 pm: Or not.
Despite earlier reports he would return Tuesday, Ray Allen sat out another game for the Celtics as they took on the Knicks. The report is his ankle is still swollen. Blame his calf muscles.
11:54 am: Ray Allen is back Tuesday — just in time to provide some punch off the bench in a key playoff seeding game when his Celtics take on the Knicks Tuesday night.
Allen had missed the last four Celtics games due to ankle injuries. He will come off the bench Tuesday — Avery Bradley is still the starter — but there will be no limit on his minutes. That according to a tweet from Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald.
What was causing Allen’s ankle issues? His oversized calf muscles. Seriously.
That is what he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
“I’ve been told that I have huge calf muscles my whole life,” Allen, 36, said earlier this month. “But they’re always like the bane of my pain, of my existence, because I always feel tightness in there. When they do get tight, it keeps my ankles from moving.”
During his time off, Allen has worked on stretching out his calf muscles to help his ankles.
“One thing we’ve been working on is getting them loose so they don’t keep my ankles from moving and being able to develop those muscles down there,” Allen said. “When I’m running around and my muscles aren’t working, I have more of a tendency to roll it.”
Some guys we might mock about this, but there are few guys in the NBA who prepare with more detail and are more aware of their bodies than Ray Allen. If he says it is his calf muscles, it’s his calf muscles.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 18
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47