Apr 17, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Check out the D-League playoffs (now in the semi-finals) and you may notice something — a BBVA bank logo on the back of every jersey. All-season those jerseys have had the adidas logo (they are the jersey manufacturer) on the upper right chest area but the bank ad is new for the playoffs.
While the NBA owners are still thinking about ads on jerseys for the season after next, they are trying it out in the D-League during the playoffs.
From the Associated Press (via SLAM).
BBVA’s logo will be featured across the back of all jerseys during the NBA D-League playoffs, the league announced Monday. It’s the first time a marketing partner will have brand exposure on a D-League jersey other than adidas, the league’s official outfitter.
BBVA, a financial service institution, is the presenting partner of the NBA D-League playoffs and finals.
I’m telling you, the day is coming. In two seasons they are not going to replace “Celtics” with “Sprite” across the chest, but the adidas logo could show up like it does on the D-League jersey. Another logo smaller on the back is possible. And it will grow from there. Other sports (not just soccer and NASCAR) will follow suit.
Why? Money. And if that bothers you, sorry. Welcome to capitalism.
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 2
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 18
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 28
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1