Apr 17, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
Check out the D-League playoffs (now in the semi-finals) and you may notice something — a BBVA bank logo on the back of every jersey. All-season those jerseys have had the adidas logo (they are the jersey manufacturer) on the upper right chest area but the bank ad is new for the playoffs.
While the NBA owners are still thinking about ads on jerseys for the season after next, they are trying it out in the D-League during the playoffs.
From the Associated Press (via SLAM).
BBVA’s logo will be featured across the back of all jerseys during the NBA D-League playoffs, the league announced Monday. It’s the first time a marketing partner will have brand exposure on a D-League jersey other than adidas, the league’s official outfitter.
BBVA, a financial service institution, is the presenting partner of the NBA D-League playoffs and finals.
I’m telling you, the day is coming. In two seasons they are not going to replace “Celtics” with “Sprite” across the chest, but the adidas logo could show up like it does on the D-League jersey. Another logo smaller on the back is possible. And it will grow from there. Other sports (not just soccer and NASCAR) will follow suit.
Why? Money. And if that bothers you, sorry. Welcome to capitalism.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11