Apr 17, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
Larry Brown has been itching to get back into coaching, hanging around Villanova practices the past couple years and hoping for a chance. Oh, and living comfortably on all that money James Dolan paid him.
Looks like he has found his chance… at SMU. That’s the report from ESPN, although the rumor this has been in the works has been around for weeks.
For the record, Brown has been an NBA head coach in Denver, New Jersey, San Antonio, Los Angeles (Clippers), Indiana, Philadelphia, Detroit, New York and Charlotte. And that’s not mentioning his four years in the ABA. He was rumored to be looking for a college job recently while also trying to get into an NBA front office.
Yea, he’s a nomad. And he’s 71 years old. Which is why no NBA team was bringing him back (that and how he covets other players more than those on his roster). His nomadic ways have meant a lot of criticism from SMU. But since that is a program that is bad and about to head to the Big East, is brining in a former NCAA title winner, NBA champion coach and Hall of Famer a bad call? Even if he is past his prime? Rob Dauster put it well at NBC’s CollegeBasketballTalk:
SMU is in for a rude awakening when they make their way to the Big East, but by hiring Brown, they are making themselves notable. The Mustangs have a buzz about them, and even if the majority of the talking heads are saying that this move is dumb, there’s no such thing as bad publicity, right?
The best part of this — maybe we can end the rumors of him coming back to the NBA. Actually, we know better than that.
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 5
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 28
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 1
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 7
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 20
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (92)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay