Apr 17, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
Larry Brown has been itching to get back into coaching, hanging around Villanova practices the past couple years and hoping for a chance. Oh, and living comfortably on all that money James Dolan paid him.
Looks like he has found his chance… at SMU. That’s the report from ESPN, although the rumor this has been in the works has been around for weeks.
For the record, Brown has been an NBA head coach in Denver, New Jersey, San Antonio, Los Angeles (Clippers), Indiana, Philadelphia, Detroit, New York and Charlotte. And that’s not mentioning his four years in the ABA. He was rumored to be looking for a college job recently while also trying to get into an NBA front office.
Yea, he’s a nomad. And he’s 71 years old. Which is why no NBA team was bringing him back (that and how he covets other players more than those on his roster). His nomadic ways have meant a lot of criticism from SMU. But since that is a program that is bad and about to head to the Big East, is brining in a former NCAA title winner, NBA champion coach and Hall of Famer a bad call? Even if he is past his prime? Rob Dauster put it well at NBC’s CollegeBasketballTalk:
SMU is in for a rude awakening when they make their way to the Big East, but by hiring Brown, they are making themselves notable. The Mustangs have a buzz about them, and even if the majority of the talking heads are saying that this move is dumb, there’s no such thing as bad publicity, right?
The best part of this — maybe we can end the rumors of him coming back to the NBA. Actually, we know better than that.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6