Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EST
We can debate, if you are so inclined, if the above is a true “wet Willy” as Delonte West did not wet his finger before sticking it in the ear of Gordon Hayward. There are schoolyard guidelines for such things. However, I think that may miss the point.
I think we can agree it’s a violation, both of the basketball rulebook and common decency. I think we can agree if West had done this on any playground in America – or to 95 percent of NBA players — they would have had to be separated.
Hayward admitted Tuesday he wanted to fight West when it happened, but he was able to turn the other cheek — or the other ear, as the case may be — when few would have. From the Associated Press.
“I wanted to fight right there, but you can’t do that,” Hayward said before Tuesday’s practice. “It wouldn’t have been the smart idea. I’d risk getting a technical foul, getting suspended for the season, whatever. There’s more important things than fighting someone out on the court. The more important thing was getting the win and we were able to do that.”
Admit it, that’s more composure than you would have shown. Al Jefferson admitted he would have not been so restrained.
West has not yet received a fine or any punishment from the league. However, when something embarrasses the league on a big scale like this — and this video has been everywhere — fines usually follow. I get the feeling there will be one.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 3
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11