Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
We can debate, if you are so inclined, if the above is a true “wet Willy” as Delonte West did not wet his finger before sticking it in the ear of Gordon Hayward. There are schoolyard guidelines for such things. However, I think that may miss the point.
I think we can agree it’s a violation, both of the basketball rulebook and common decency. I think we can agree if West had done this on any playground in America – or to 95 percent of NBA players — they would have had to be separated.
Hayward admitted Tuesday he wanted to fight West when it happened, but he was able to turn the other cheek — or the other ear, as the case may be — when few would have. From the Associated Press.
“I wanted to fight right there, but you can’t do that,” Hayward said before Tuesday’s practice. “It wouldn’t have been the smart idea. I’d risk getting a technical foul, getting suspended for the season, whatever. There’s more important things than fighting someone out on the court. The more important thing was getting the win and we were able to do that.”
Admit it, that’s more composure than you would have shown. Al Jefferson admitted he would have not been so restrained.
West has not yet received a fine or any punishment from the league. However, when something embarrasses the league on a big scale like this — and this video has been everywhere — fines usually follow. I get the feeling there will be one.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8