Hayward says he wanted to fight West after “wet Willy”

Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT

We can debate, if you are so inclined, if the above is a true “wet Willy” as Delonte West did not wet his finger before sticking it in the ear of Gordon Hayward. There are schoolyard guidelines for such things. However, I think that may miss the point.

I think we can agree it’s a violation, both of the basketball rulebook and common decency. I think we can agree if West had done this on any playground in America – or to 95 percent of NBA players — they would have had to be separated.

Hayward admitted Tuesday he wanted to fight West when it happened, but he was able to turn the other cheek — or the other ear, as the case may be — when few would have. From the Associated Press.

“I wanted to fight right there, but you can’t do that,” Hayward said before Tuesday’s practice. “It wouldn’t have been the smart idea. I’d risk getting a technical foul, getting suspended for the season, whatever. There’s more important things than fighting someone out on the court. The more important thing was getting the win and we were able to do that.”

Admit it, that’s more composure than you would have shown. Al Jefferson admitted he would have not been so restrained.

West has not yet received a fine or any punishment from the league. However, when something embarrasses the league on a big scale like this — and this video has been everywhere — fines usually follow. I get the feeling there will be one.

1. drunkenjunk - Apr 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The same Al Jefferson that gets abused by KG and takes it all.

2. tampajoey - Apr 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Delonte West would have kicked Hayward’s butt… or shot him with a bazooka… or had sex with his mother (aka Gloria James style).

3. numba1recx19 - Apr 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

That’s hilarious.

4. dirtybird2020 - Apr 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Haha first banging lebrons mom now banging haywards ear hahaha, mvp

5. gmen4life33 - Apr 17, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Common, Hayward did the right thing BUT no part of him wanted to fight West. As soon as it happened, Hayward was trying to get as a far away from West as possible, and not to restrain himself, but to save himself from West. Hayward wanted no part of Delonte West, and I dont blame him, that dude is crazy. But dont do an interview next day saying you wanted to fight…

• drunkenjunk - Apr 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM

yup, West would kill him. I don’t care how much bigger Hayward is, messing with West would end really bad for him.

• raiderkilla0 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

The neck tats make West so tough im so scared

• drunkenjunk - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

The bipolar/crazy guy carrying that around on a motorcycle would probably scare you.

• dexterismyhero - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I don’t think so. West is basically a little punk.

• drunkenjunk - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

yes, i’m sure you would kick his ass.

• 00maltliquor - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:40 AM

I was going to say the same exact thing gmen, that’s what I took from that.

6. dspears06 - Apr 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I wish west did that to garnett

• fouldwimmerlaik - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

It would be more interesting if West did that to LeBron… That. Would. Be. War.

7. dgbk - Apr 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

every1 is always tough the next day when the guy is no where around smh….

8. jimeejohnson - Apr 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM

OK, I admit I would have planted west like a tulip!

9. rdav29 - Apr 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM

at least it wasn’t a purple nurple…

• BigBeachBall - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM

or an atomic twisty….

10. raiderkilla0 - Apr 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Apparently if your dumb enough too get neck tats your dumb enough to stick your wet finger in someones ear

11. ezmagic - Apr 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Hayward needs to be more worried he doesn’t get herpes on his ear like west has on his lip. I’d be suing

12. trickybastard - Apr 18, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Please, NBA players are the worst fighters there are anyway.

• hollywood26 - Apr 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Normally I agree. But I’ve known Redz since he was a youngster and he WILL fight. He has a mental unbalance that he medicates to handle it but I’ve seen him get thrown out of A LOT of gyms over the years because of fighting. Certain guys in the league you just don’t play with. Stephen Jackson, Delonte West, and suprisingly Montae Ellis (yeah I know right) are dudes known throughout the league as dudes that will really spazz out on you.

• trickybastard - Apr 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I agree with part of what you said. Willingness to fight is not the same as being a good fighter….which was the genesis of my comment.

13. progress2011 - Apr 18, 2012 at 3:32 AM

It wasn’t a ” wet willy” . His finger went against his head, more towards the temple area. If Hayward would have squared up (like a man), the finger would have been aimed toward the center of his forehead.

That’s generally done to guys, you have no respect for. Kinda like slapping a guy, instead of punching him, is also a form of the greatest disrespect.

What’s comical is the announcers overreaction, as if Delonte had actually punched the guy or flagrantly fouled him.

This is really a non-story about two journeymen, with average skill sets ….at best ! Neither player generates any real revenue for the teams, they are the extra’s on the movie set, walking in the crowd.

This story was only approved for print because there is nothing really going on, as teams are resting their superstars, in preparation for the playoff runs.

• jeremyhurst - Apr 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM

You should watch the video again, then tell me where YOU think the “temple area” is, becuase Delonte went directly for the ear.

You’re right – its a sign of disrespect, but in no way was Delonte aiming for a temple, or his forehead, at all.

Idiots all over the place.

14. bj1980 - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I’ve grown fond of Delonte since he’s been in Dallas, but that was a dick move. Hayward had every right to be upset, and he did the right thing by walking away.
    -BJ

15. schaffershokai - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Hayward needs to calm down. He could enjoy a good shag from a woman like this: http://youtu.be/7NRRrnaz2uo

16. teamobijuan - Apr 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Dumb thing to say the day after.

17. mikeewright7 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM

guys to stay away from,
    D.West, S.Jackson, Ron Artest, Monte Ellis, Ben.Wallace

18. mrhney03 - Apr 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

dexterismyhero – Apr 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    I don’t think so. West is basically a little punk

You must not have seen the Youtube video of West on his Motorcycle on 495 with some assault rifles and samurai swords in his backpack…

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches