Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
We can debate, if you are so inclined, if the above is a true “wet Willy” as Delonte West did not wet his finger before sticking it in the ear of Gordon Hayward. There are schoolyard guidelines for such things. However, I think that may miss the point.
I think we can agree it’s a violation, both of the basketball rulebook and common decency. I think we can agree if West had done this on any playground in America – or to 95 percent of NBA players — they would have had to be separated.
Hayward admitted Tuesday he wanted to fight West when it happened, but he was able to turn the other cheek — or the other ear, as the case may be — when few would have. From the Associated Press.
“I wanted to fight right there, but you can’t do that,” Hayward said before Tuesday’s practice. “It wouldn’t have been the smart idea. I’d risk getting a technical foul, getting suspended for the season, whatever. There’s more important things than fighting someone out on the court. The more important thing was getting the win and we were able to do that.”
Admit it, that’s more composure than you would have shown. Al Jefferson admitted he would have not been so restrained.
West has not yet received a fine or any punishment from the league. However, when something embarrasses the league on a big scale like this — and this video has been everywhere — fines usually follow. I get the feeling there will be one.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48