Apr 17, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
We can debate, if you are so inclined, if the above is a true “wet Willy” as Delonte West did not wet his finger before sticking it in the ear of Gordon Hayward. There are schoolyard guidelines for such things. However, I think that may miss the point.
I think we can agree it’s a violation, both of the basketball rulebook and common decency. I think we can agree if West had done this on any playground in America – or to 95 percent of NBA players — they would have had to be separated.
Hayward admitted Tuesday he wanted to fight West when it happened, but he was able to turn the other cheek — or the other ear, as the case may be — when few would have. From the Associated Press.
“I wanted to fight right there, but you can’t do that,” Hayward said before Tuesday’s practice. “It wouldn’t have been the smart idea. I’d risk getting a technical foul, getting suspended for the season, whatever. There’s more important things than fighting someone out on the court. The more important thing was getting the win and we were able to do that.”
Admit it, that’s more composure than you would have shown. Al Jefferson admitted he would have not been so restrained.
West has not yet received a fine or any punishment from the league. However, when something embarrasses the league on a big scale like this — and this video has been everywhere — fines usually follow. I get the feeling there will be one.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record